FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to create a simple two-lane road in Illustrator with proper perspective but no luck - what am I doing wrong

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Imam
Trying to create a simple two-lane road in Illustrator with proper perspective but no luck - what am I doing wrong
on Sep 11, 2018 at 8:40:31 pm

Hey all,

I'm trying to create a very simple "highway" or road image in illustrator, sort of like this:

But I need the middle lines to have real, proper perspective, disappear into the distance at the vanishing point up top. I tried using the perspective grid in Illustrator with no luck, but I think I might just be using it wrong. This seems like a extremely simple project so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out in making it real. Thanks!

Mike

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Trying to create a simple two-lane road in Illustrator with proper perspective but no luck - what am I doing wrong
on Sep 12, 2018 at 2:03:16 pm

A relatively simple approach is:

1) draw the center line in the same fashion as your edges, as a solid, tapered line.
2) draw a white box that makes up the closest-to-viewer gap in the center line.
3) with the white box selected, choose the scale tool and click at the point where the lines meet at the horizon to set the scaling center point there, then scale the white box with the alt/option key held down (so as to create a copy as you scale) and let go when the copy is at the right location for the second gap
4) Press cmd/cntrl + D repeatedly (to redo last transformation) to make a sequence of white boxes receding into the horizon.
5) To clean up, select all white boxes and unite them into a single object with the pathfinder and then cut that combined shape out of the center line with another pathfinder operation (cut front object).

An alternate approach is to draw the road from a satellite view (no perspective), outline the paths, group them and then use the 3D rotate to put it in perspective. Sounds simpler, but isn't necessarily so.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]