FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding colour inside a pattern brush applied to a path

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wood
Adding colour inside a pattern brush applied to a path
on May 8, 2018 at 3:09:06 pm

Hi all, I'm really struggling with this.

I created a pattern brush that is a blank fill with a black outline. It's of a shower-hose pattern, so I can draw a hose and have it connect from the shower unit to the shower head, without tediously drawing each segment of the hose by hand. It works v, v well.

The problem comes when I try to colour it in white, so I can apply the line drawing to artwork with a coloured background.

I want the hose to have a white fill with a black outline, however, I simply can not figure out how to do this.

If I take the object (the curved path with the hose pattern applied) and change the fill to any colour, or white, it simply fills in the gap INSIDE the curved path, it doesn't seem to constrain the colour to the shape of the hose.

If I select the object and "Expand Appearance" I get individual paths for every curve and line in the hose, which is great when I want to fine-tune some details, but I can't select these and paint them either.

In the "Options of Selected Object" panel I am having trouble with the different colourisation methods. Whether it's None, Tints, Tints and Shades or Hue Colorization I can't seem to get what I'm after.

After some brief googling, I'm still none the wiser on how to do this, despite seeing examples of what I need.

Hoping you can help, thank you!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Adding colour inside a pattern brush applied to a path
on May 10, 2018 at 1:04:33 pm

The white fill will need to be already included in the path pattern when you define it. So you can either fill the insides of each of the pieces that have black outlines in white or create a single white fill behind them that functions as a fill for the pattern. That way it will remain a live editable path that includes the fill.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]