FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create masks in Illustrator

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pris French
Create masks in Illustrator
on Jun 25, 2017 at 2:32:05 am

Hello,

I am new to Illustrator. I am trying to create masks that are the lines in a vector image in Illustrator seen below.

I would like to have the equivalent of a mask that is used in After Effects. So that when I import it into After Effects and use the stroke effect, the lines will slowly appear in the animated composition. The lines in the illustration are in a separate layer of its own in Illustrator. I am not sure if there is a Pen Tool (like in After Effects) which I can use to outline the line to create masks, however that would take a looong time because there are a lot of lines. Basically, how do I convert the lines in the illustration to mask or masks?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Create masks in Illustrator
on Jun 28, 2017 at 6:32:23 pm

As you identified, this would take some time, to illustrate as vector. If you really knew Illustrator's tools, it might take 15 minutes. Otherwise...

Create a horizontal path with the pen tool.
Duplicate it, a few inches below, or just draw another path.
Select both paths and Object > Blend > Blend Options: Specified Steps: 18.
Then Object > Blend > Make.
Position the points.
Adjust the stroke weight.
Object > Expand.

Or, if you want perspective in your lines, you could make the grids using the above technique.
Then expand the object before reshaping. Now instead of reshaping, use the 3D rotate tool, and expand again when done.

Or, another option might be to just create a high-contrast alpha channel from one of the RGB channels in Photoshop. Do any edits to the raster alpha, then just animate simpler shapes underneath it in After Effects.

I'm afraid, in Illustrator, very often the solution to the problem is just drawing it. :)

Vince

*Please remember to Like an answer if it solves your question or gives you a good idea.

Return to posts index

Pris French
on Jul 4, 2017 at 12:52:09 am

Thanks for your detailed response. I am trying to create masks that resemble the lines themselves so when I apply the Stroke effect in After Effects, the lines that you see in the top part of the illustration slowly appear. Is the pen tool, a way of creating masks like the above in Illustrator? Ok, I have a question for you, in this tutorial, this tutor created masks for this world globe in Iluustrator -

. How did he manage to create it in Illustrator? It's the same thing I want to do with my illustration.

Return to posts index

Pris French
on Jul 4, 2017 at 12:54:05 am

BTW, you can see the globe at 6:12 in the above tutorial.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]