FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to figure out how the texture was created in this illustration.

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marius Crowne
Trying to figure out how the texture was created in this illustration.
on Mar 10, 2017 at 8:23:39 am

I know the technique of creating gradients and turning it into a texture, which you then layer using multiply or overlay, but this beast is something different entirely.

What do you think we're dealing with here? The illustration being done in Illustrator and then a brush in Photoshop? Or something else?

Would love some input.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Trying to figure out how the texture was created in this illustration.
on Mar 10, 2017 at 5:40:43 pm

actually it looks like the film grain filter in Photoshop. Select object, go to Effect >> (under Photoshop Effects), Artistic >> Film Grain...

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Marius Crowne
on Mar 16, 2017 at 3:13:53 pm

Hey there. Sorry for the delayed response!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think Film Grain is the way to go.

It essentially looks the same as what I mentioned I had tried. Basically, adding black grain, then adjusting it's opacity with the blend mode on multiply. OR by doing the same and then using overlay to get white.

If you look at the illustration above, the grain has color, rather than simply adding black and/or white to create shadows and highlights.

Is there some way to do this with the film grain effect? I apologize if it's something obvious. I spend a lot more time with this sort of thing in Illustrator.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Marius Crowne
on Mar 16, 2017 at 3:33:05 pm

I've done some experimenting and the process seems to be that the base illustration (color blocks) were made in Illustrator. Then that was imported into Photoshop where the individual elements are (possibly) isolated with the magic wand and then the shading and highlights are manually painted in with a stipple brush!

Also, a brush (not the stipple kind) has been added to the stroke in Illustrator to make the line look organic.

Woohoo!

Ok! Thanks again for your help!

//M

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]