FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avoid bleed (?) between overlapping shapes

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
Avoid bleed (?) between overlapping shapes
on Mar 5, 2017 at 11:29:35 pm
Last Edited By Xavier Bonet on Mar 6, 2017 at 1:50:26 am

As you can see, there's a rather visible... bleed (?)... between overlapping shapes. This is a simple illustration. I copied the green shape (Layer B), pasted it to Layer C and made it grey; then I cut out from Layer C the part I didn't need, so that Layer B would be visible. Then, there are two other shapes which make up Layer A. So what you can see is a stack of 3 layers, A, B, and C, where Layer B is green and A and C are grey. But, as you can see, Layer B (the green one) bleeds from underneath Layer C at the edges. Which is perhaps most obvious where Layer C and Layer A should meet: instead, there's a thin green line, i.e. Layer B bleeding out from beneath Layer A.
I'm sorry if it's not that clear in writing. Really, it's a very simple arrangement but rather difficult to explain. This is only a detail of the entire illustration, but this same thing is happening everywhere. And I need to import this illustration into AE and convert it to shapes there for animation... process that only makes this issue more obvious.
I tried cutting out from Layer B the portion of the shape that is hidden below Layer C, so that only the parts that are visible exist. But the result was a thin gap where Layers B and C meet... So it's basically the same problem: either bleed at the edges of Layers B and C or a gap where they meet.
How can I solve this? I would like this to be 100% seamless. As if the same shape, at some point, just changes color... no gap, no bleed.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
Re: Avoid bleed (?) between overlapping shapes
on Mar 6, 2017 at 1:54:21 am

As I kept on thinking about this, thinking about "as if the same shape, at some point, just changes color", I'm thinking that a possible solution will be to simply recreate that. That is, create both colours as individual and then just add the outline shape as a mask. This will perhaps solve my problem, and I'll try it out and post the results here. But, still, I feel it's rather a workaround... as AI should work seamlessly. It seems to me like a shape, duplicated right on top of itself, should perfectly hide the bottom shape. The fact that there's some bleed makes me feel like AI is not compensating for the pixel display, even if one's working with vectors, which in theory have no pixels until they're displayed.
I don't know... perhaps I'm demanding too much of the software here.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Avoid bleed (?) between overlapping shapes
on Mar 7, 2017 at 3:08:01 pm

My initial thought is that what you are seeing is just the typical screen redraw behavior in Illustrator. Is this an export or a screen capture?
Which is to say, there might not be anything wrong. If you were going to print, I’d say do a test print. In this case I’d say, run it through your process and test it.

AI doesn’t continually rasterize in the same way that Photoshop does and After Effects typically does.

“makes me feel like AI is not compensating for the pixel display, even if one's working with vectors, which in theory have no pixels until they're displayed”

Again, this is my initial suspicion, but it could be something else.
Let us know.

Vince

*Please remember to Like an answer if it solves your question or gives you a good idea.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]