Illustrator and Photoshop CS4 on Dual Xeon 3.2 Windows, with 20GB of Ram, Quadro FX5600, 15k rpm sas HD. (anyway, should be more than ideal other than it's running XP64, not vista or 7)
I get graphics for products in illustrator format. I have done renderings and need to add the graphics in photoshop.
I need the layers in tact. Although, I Only need the parent layers, not every piece seperately.
Export to photoshop with layers gives me some big problems though when I choose more than a certain dpi. Sometimes more than 100, sometimes more than 300. If I turn off anti-alias it usually works, but that doesn't look good.
I'm really just looking for the most efficient way of doing this.
Right now I'm creating a thin box around my entire drawing. I select the box every time i select an entire layer. Copy, paste it into photoshop, come back and do the next one. The box allows me to make them all paste in the same position. I paste as a smart object so I can resize the whole thing once I'm done. Sometimes they come in Really tiny, so I need to resize. Sure, this works, but it seems like a lot of unnecessary work when there's already an export option that is just saying I don't have enough memory. Illustrator, since it's only 32bit only reads my system as having 4Gigs of memory, but I still imagine that should be enough. maybe the script it just poorly written?
I'd love to hear from some of the experts here to find out if there is a more efficient/effective way to do this.
I had a similar problem with a large image that I needed to get into Photoshop, although I didn't need the layers intact. I got around it by dividing my file into three artboards (butting together seamlessly), exporting each artboard separately and then merging them in Photoshop.
You can try and do that with your work but I am not sure how the layers will merge together.
exporting at 300 causes problems for some reason. i always export 150 dpi. if the dimensions of your file were small, i'd say, yes, export at 300. If it's a large composition, output 150. Shutting off anti-alias is supposed to help in this case, but apparently it didn't.