FORUMS: list search recent posts

Move anchor point in illustrator

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joakim Åberg
Move anchor point in illustrator
on Oct 4, 2008 at 4:08:54 pm

I´ve used photoshop for several years and tried illustrator today, and I cant move anchor points by pressing ctrl while using the pen tool. I only move the entire spline. How can I move one point?

Return to posts index

Kelly Johnson
Re: Move anchor point in illustrator
on Oct 5, 2008 at 2:15:28 pm

I don't think you can actually move the point along the path. What you can do is to use the pen tool with the + symbol. click where you want the new point to be and then use the pen with the - symbol to remove the original point.

Maybe someone knows something else but I've never heard of moving a point along a path (spline)...for the app to dynamically calculate the math for such an operation would seem a little processor intensive?!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Oct 5, 2008 at 9:55:49 pm

I only know how to move a center-point during a 'Rotate' operation.
Select the object.
Press 'R' to activate the Rotate tool.
Than, left-click on the rotate point to drag it.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rosati_vincent/radial_patterns.php

Maybe you could group an empty object beneath your main object, that has a point in the location you desire.

Vince

Return to posts index

Bob Nigel
on Jan 25, 2009 at 9:59:32 am

Using the warp tool i was abel to move anchor points click warp tool and the click and drag the anchor point to were you want it to be.

Ps i made this stupid account just so i can try help

Return to posts index

Bob Nigel
on Jan 25, 2009 at 10:07:35 am

Click on the pen tool and hold it there till you get the 4 different pen tools. select the convert anchor pen tool or Shift C for the tool click on the anchor point once then use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move them. Just figured this out now

good luck

Return to posts index

Ed Crossland
on Apr 18, 2009 at 10:33:15 am

If you make a simple click and hold on the anchor point while in "convert anchor point" mode (see last post) you are able to move the handles associated with that anchor point. If you shift+click and hold you will be able to move the anchor point with the mouse (strangely, you will then need to release shift while holding the mouse click or you will be restricted to 45°, horizontal and vertical direction movement)

Return to posts index

Jinn Jackson
on May 1, 2009 at 9:34:22 am

I think, well maybe someone knows something else but I've never heard of moving a point along a path (spline)...for the app to dynamically calculate the math for such operation would seem a little processor intensive?

Return to posts index

kelly jervis
on Mar 15, 2011 at 12:21:43 am

Thanks it worked!!!!!!!!I have been using Vector Diary to teach myself illustrator and am told to use pen+ Cnrl +select anchor to move just point around it only works sometimes other times moves entire shape,have spent days trying to find out what I am doing wrong,I am a photoshop user and just keep thinking I should stay that way...........

Return to posts index

Crystal Jackson
on Jul 7, 2015 at 8:47:02 pm

I found that if I needed to move an anchor point, I click on the Convert Anchor Point Tool (Shift + C on a PC) and PRESS on the point I want to move while I hold down the SPACE bar.

This will make your line look like rubber bands that are stretched out from on point to the next,then I would simply double click on the anchor using the Convert Anchor Point Tool, and bend the line with the handles.

Hope this helps someone.
Crystal J

Return to posts index

Ray Northway
on May 31, 2009 at 1:55:12 am

in illustrator, use the "direct selection tool" (the rightmost arrow at the top of the toolbar, appears 'white' rather than 'black'), hold the pointer over the anchor until you see a hollow square nest to the point (not the solid square), then click and drag at will.

I was searching for this answer when I found this thread. Unhappy with any of the 'workarounds' here, I just started playing, and figured this out.

works great.

have fun!

Ray

Return to posts index

david matthews
on Apr 9, 2010 at 6:22:51 am

quick correction to the above: you must double-click the anchor point of interest using the Direct Selection Tool (white arrow), not just hold your cursor over it.

Return to posts index

ally oslinn
on Oct 7, 2011 at 3:11:11 pm

while in "convert anchor mode" hold down shift then the letter "z" to move one point!

Return to posts index

Sergey Almone
on Feb 8, 2012 at 10:58:03 pm

Thats what i need!
Thank you so much!!!!

Return to posts index

sushma sukumaran
on Sep 6, 2012 at 5:57:13 am

why dont you try clicking the anchor point with the pen tool and press shift+ desired arrow keys to shift the arrows..

Return to posts index

Ignacio Carrera
on Sep 22, 2013 at 4:34:07 am

To move an anchor point you need to use the direct selection tool, the light grey arrow below the black arrow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]