ADOBE PHOTOSHOP: Photoshop Tutorials Illustrator Tutorials Forum Photography Forum

Best method for removing type bleeding through in thin page scan (attached)

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Orman
Best method for removing type bleeding through in thin page scan (attached)
on Jul 18, 2019 at 4:55:08 pm

Hi,
I made a scan of a thin page in a very old book, and the type from the page on the other side is bleeding through. The page is embedded below. Could someone please recommend the best method for removing the bleed-through type showing? I tried the patch tool and that wasn't really working, and wasn't sure what else to try. There are some areas of the page with no type bleeding through, too, so another option is I could somehow cut and paste the pristine areas of the page and duplicate them over the problematic portions. That method seems clunky though, and I'm not sure how to even do it in Photoshop.

I'd be grateful for any advice on what people think is the best method!

Neil

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: Best method for removing type bleeding through in thin page scan (attached)
on Jul 18, 2019 at 5:37:59 pm

I'd probably hit it with the Levels, brighten the whites and midtones to remove the bleedthrough text and then darken the blacks to firm up the print you want to keep. Might have to hit the edge shadows with the Dodge tool to wipe out the rest of the bleedthrough. Once you have it clean, you can set its blend mode to Multiply and put it over a layer filled with the page color to keep it from looking too black-and-white. A little noise and paper texture will bring back the "old book" look if that's something you want to keep.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Jul 18, 2019 at 6:29:20 pm

Thank you Jeff! Your guidance on using a Levels layer was perfect and so easy to follow! I appreciate it. Below is what it looks like now, so just let me know if you have any feedback on this so far. From here, I'm trying to play with your other good thoughts for adding some color, noise and paper texture. I definitely like that old book idea, as long as it's clear, which you've thankfully solved. I see how to 'add noise' but wasn't sure how to give it a paper texture. Could you offer any brief tips there? For the color I've been trying to insert a solid color above the image layer, and bring the opacity way down. But for some reason I can't figure out how to add a solid layer in Photoshop. So my last question was if you or anyone else has any quick tips there? Or just let me know if there's a reason Multiply/blend mode method is better.
Much appreciated again,
Neil

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Jul 18, 2019 at 6:43:07 pm

Nice job! Looks nice and clean.

There are a couple ways to make a solid color layer. Simplest is probably just clicking the Adjustment Layer button at the bottom of the Layers panel (looks like a little half-black/half-white circle) and choose Solid Color. Put that layer below your scan layer and set the scan layer to Multiply to only have the dark pixels show on top of the color.

For paper texture, I'd hunt for some free textures online (there are several sites that offer this) or scan your own paper with a good amount of texture in it. Put it at the top of your layer stack and experiment with opacity and blending modes to find an effect you like: Overlay, Soft Light, Luminosity, Multiply...

The hard part is done. Now is when you get to tweak and experiment.

---
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Jul 18, 2019 at 7:14:05 pm

So helpful, thank you Jeff! I did both those things, including finding a nice texture online like you said, and really appreciate the additional tips. Below is what I have at this point, so just let me know if you have any additional feedback.
Much appreciated again,
Neil

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Jul 18, 2019 at 7:21:18 pm

Looks really good. About the only suggestion I'd make would be to desaturate your paper layer a little sothe color isn't quite so solid.

There's no end of tweaks you can make to any Photoshop project, but this says "page out of old book" quite well.

---
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Jul 18, 2019 at 7:56:32 pm

Thanks very much, Jeff! I appreciate that, and couldn't have done it without your great and easy-to-follow tips. What a difference!
And I'll definitely look at the desaturation point too, which might add that extra bit of realism. Good thought.
Thanks again,
Neil

PS - Photoshop really is amazing, especially when you know how to get the most out of it. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]