ADOBE PHOTOSHOP: Photoshop Tutorials Illustrator Tutorials Forum Photography Forum

Copy and paste drifting in Photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Rupp
Copy and paste drifting in Photoshop
on Jun 2, 2018 at 9:49:42 am

Hi there,

Im relatively new to Photoshop, though do have a lot of experience with regards to video editing using adobe software (after effects , premiere etc.)

Up until now I haven't really had the incentive to learn Photoshop because rudimentary photo editing is all I needed.

Whenever I copy and paste a selection in Photoshop, for some reason if shifts the pasted image slightly, such that it's no longer aligned to its original position (which is a pain if my intent was never to move it).

There are definitely a heap of workarounds I can think of, I was just wondering if there was a setting that stops this form happening? Or at least an explanation as to why this happens?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Copy and paste drifting in Photoshop
on Jun 2, 2018 at 12:58:03 pm
Last Edited By Kalleheikki Kannisto on Jun 2, 2018 at 1:02:05 pm

Without getting into a deep explanation* of why this happens, the better way to accomplish this is to select something and choose from menu Layer>New>Layer via Copy. This keeps the copy in the same exact position.

*The reason has to do with Photoshop pasting in the center of the selected area or layer, calculating the layer bounds based on 50% opacity threshold, whereas you can have pixels that are less than 50% opaque on the copied layer, so the actual layer size is different (larger) than what the calculated bounds are. This difference can shift the pasted layer in one direction or other. A very incomplete and quite possibly an incomprehensible explanation....

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]