FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with R3D-Files

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philipp Müller
Problems with R3D-Files
on Aug 31, 2015 at 10:03:18 am

Hi Guys,

I have a huge problem with my r3d-Files shot on two RED ONEs this July.

This year I bought a new Laptop on which I wanted to edit those files shot in July. I have a Lenovo Y70-70 with following specs:

CPU: 2.5GHz Intel Core i7-4710HQ (quad-core, 6MB cache)
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M (4GB GDDR5 RAM)
RAM: 12GB DDR3L
Screen: 17.3-inch, 1,920 x 1,080 FHD multi-touch screen
Storage: Hybrid 1TB (5400 RPM) plus 8GB SSD
Ports: 2 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0, combo mic/headphone jack, HDMI-out, 4-in-1 card reader, Ethernet, SPDIF

Now I have those R3D-Files this Laptop in Premiere CS6 cannot handle. I have huge losses of frames in the preview. The files are stored on an external HDD of Western Digital USB 3.0 1TB with 5400 RPM.

I copied some files to my Laptop, just to check if the problem is the external HDD, but have the same problems from there. What makes my GPU worse is my second problem, that we invented a new format called "DoubleScope" in which we have a permanent split-screen in resolution of 4096x772px (looks like this then: http://ostenderfilm.de/doublescope/ ) I think that playing two different 4k-RED-Files at one time is too much for my GPU (or maybe for my HDD or my PCIs??) Interesting: It doesn't matter if I scale the preview down to 1/16 or not. I am losing always the same mount of frames.

Sorry for my english, but maybe someone has a good Idea how I can handle these files? Tried to find tutorials building Proxy-Files etc. but couldnt really for RED-Files. Looks like the RED-Codec is a bit tricky?

Thanks for your help.
PM

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
Re: Problems with R3D-Files
on Aug 31, 2015 at 11:13:11 pm

Your GPU and hard drives are nowhere near fast enough to playback r3d files. Use redcine x to encode proxy files and then re link before your final export. You could probably drop the debayer to 1/4 in redcine x and create either prores or avid dnxhd files. These should have a low enough data rate for the hard drive you have. It's worth investing in a usb3 raid or ssd if you can afford it.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Philipp Müller
on Sep 1, 2015 at 9:02:29 am

Hi Tom,

thanks for your help. I now try to encode my files to proxys with redcine-x. Hope I don't need help with it in the future.

Maybe I'll buy a new PC for this. Can you help me with what I need? I thought about following:

i7
1TB SSD
16 GB RAM
But which Nvidia would I need? Is a GeForce GTX 980 Ti enough (2816 Cores, 6GB).

thx a lot,
pm

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 1, 2015 at 9:34:22 pm

Unfortunately there isn't one perfect for solution that will always help to play r3d files back. You need a combination of very fast storage, more than 64GB ram, dual GPUs of at least 4GB each and then the only thing that would guarantee performance is a red rocket x card. You also need lots of fast spinning storage, either via fibre or thunderbolt.

For instance, to guarantee 4k playback of up to 30fps from r3d files on Mac, you would need at least 6 cores, 64GB of ram, an external red rocket card in a thunderbolt enclosure, dual d700 GPUs and a thunderbolt raid with as much storage on a thunderbolt raid 5 setup as possible.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]