FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Footage Transcodes Out of Recine-X Are Too Slow?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Barnett
Red Footage Transcodes Out of Recine-X Are Too Slow?
on Aug 18, 2015 at 8:41:04 pm

I'm transcoding 111 shots from Redcine-X to import to FCP 7. Nothing is unusually long but I'm taking the footage from it's default settings to 2048x1152. The computer's handling about four shots an hour so the total render time'll be around 24 hours! Is this normal? The computer is a 2011 Mac, running Snow Leopart with 10GB of ram. I've done some research on how to speed it up, but would welcome more tips since this is the first of 5 batches of footage I need to export before I can start editing.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Red Footage Transcodes Out of Recine-X Are Too Slow?
on Aug 19, 2015 at 6:25:14 am

It sounds like you are creating full resolution media. As in, you won't be going back to the R3D file for finishing. If you are creating "new masters" and you have the setting set to full debayer then it does sound right but still quite slow. If you are only creating edit media then you can do a fair bit to speed up the process.

Since 2048 is 1/4 the resolution of the 4K or 5K file then you can easily set your debayer to 1/4 which sill significantly speed up the debarring and rendering process.

You can also set the target disk for the rendered media to a different disk from where the R3D is being read from.

Check your CUDA or open CL drivers and make sure they are up to date.

A video card with more RAM also would help.

http://www.bottegabattistella.com/blog/

Return to posts index

Shaun Barnett
Re: Red Footage Transcodes Out of Recine-X Are Too Slow?
on Aug 19, 2015 at 8:13:54 am

Debayer... That's a new term for me, but I remember leaving it unchecked in the settings window. I'll investigate tomorrow. We do plan to go back to the R3D file for color correction after the edit so as long as it's that 2048x1152, I'm not too fussy about the quality.

And I'll check your other suggestions as well. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]