FORUMS: list search recent posts

Latest RedcineX-Pro and Rocket X taxing CPU on Macbook Pro?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Chung
Latest RedcineX-Pro and Rocket X taxing CPU on Macbook Pro?
on Mar 11, 2015 at 5:04:58 pm

Hey All,

Doing some DIT on an independent. Setup is a late-2011 17" Macbook Pro (OS X 10.9.5) 8GB RAM, Caldigit T-bolt 2 hub, backing up to two Thunderbolt G-Raids. Shooting Epic Dragon 6K, 5:1, latest build. Cooling Pad underneath the laptop.

So for this shoot, we got a new Red Rocket X card mounted in a Sonnet Echo Express IIID Thunderbolt2 chassis. Obviously my Macbook is only Thunderbolt 1, but after latest Rocket X driver/firmware and RedcineX Pro, it's working at x4 fine and like the last generation of Red Rocket does transcodes nice and fast. Only...the fans on the laptop seem to rev up more than they did when I used the last Rocket card. This happens both when transcoding as well as when a RAW clip is loading up in RedcineX or RedPlayer.

Activity monitor showed very high CPU % (several hundred), and the 'redexport' up to 350 %. I dialed openCL in both RedCineX Pro and RedPLayer, and it seemed to push it down a bit, but it still revs up. CPU temp goes up to near 90˚C/fan in the mid-5000's (according to iSTAT). But it goes back down once the processing is over.

Maybe I just didn't notice it as much when using the older card, but it feels like this is the most that it's heated up after several jobs, and the only difference is the new Rocket X/RedCineX. I've basically done the transcodes (to both 1080 ProRess 422 HQ and smaller H.264 dailies) two clips at a time because I was a little afraid of heating up to shut-down if I just left them all to transcode over night like I used to.

Does it seem I'm worrying over nothing? I realize that there are some 'bottlenecking' issues with the RocketX/Sonnet T-Bolt2 running Tbolt1...and the temp doesn't seem to go up over 87˚C....so maybe it's just running hot like it's supposed to. But it seems like the CPU is getting a really heavy load for this...just wondering if anyone recognizes sbns of trouble and possibly burning out my laptop. I might just try to do a long batch of transcodes tonight and see if it tells me to shutdown. It's also possible to get an older Red Rocket.

Sorry for the length of post, but just want to be as complete as I can in explaining. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
Re: Latest RedcineX-Pro and Rocket X taxing CPU on Macbook Pro?
on Mar 12, 2015 at 2:33:30 am

So got back home to do some transcoding with the Red Rocket X and Sonnet Echo Express IIID. Loaded up a big batch (we shot around 785GB, today three cameras). Set it up for complete batch export.

The heat and fan build up, but then seems to cool down 'between' clips, then up again. The temp goes up to maybe 90˚C max but never over, fans rev up to around 5500rpm at peak, but spend more time in the 4000's. So it seems rather normal, just heating up but then cooling back downs need. It's not like the heat and and fan are running amok like with a kernel panic or the like.

So this will take about 3-3.5 hrs…1080p ProRes HQs and smaller H.264 dailies (the dailies definitely tax the system less). Hopefully the computer won't burn out while I'm asleep.

BUT…don't think I'll do much more on my Macbook as they're getting a new MacMini with the Thunderbolt2, which I'll set up just for transcodes. We'll see. Come to think of it, my Macbook got hotter when I was cloning the HD…like really hot to the touch over a wider area WITHOUT the fans running higher…so this is probably better that the fans actually kick in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]