FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommeded hardware specifications for building a computer for editing r3d files on a PC or Mac Pro

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan White
Recommeded hardware specifications for building a computer for editing r3d files on a PC or Mac Pro
on Jan 10, 2015 at 4:50:23 am

Currently my system is generally built for coding programs and not for editing RED camera files. In that process, it would huff and puff. Basic thing you need to know is that my system is like this:

Quad Core 1st Generation Intel i7 3.2 GHz
12 GB RAM
1 GB AMD Radeon 5800 Graphics Card

When I put r3d in Adobe Premiere Pro and play them at like 1/4 or 1/8 resolution, the file plays fine.

Intel has released it's 5960X processor, which is 8 cores and cheaper than the Xeon processors, I believe. 6 GB graphics seem easy to access, especially in high end laptops, heck, the Aorus X7 has 8 GB graphics.

Between the range of $2000-$4000, how can I build myself a machine that will be able to handle r3d playback in DaVinci Resolve or Adobe Premiere Pro at 1/2 or maybe full resolution. Red Rocket seems too expensive for me, even though it's the best option for R3D playback. I feel that an 8 core processor and at least a 4 GB graphics card would be necessary to take my workflow from H.264 1080p over to 4K and RED camera.

I don't have a RED camera, I never used one, and in the interest of science and my CS community, I believe performance is highly affected because of the algorithms used to program the methods and classes for the process of RAW playback.

Would you like to make some good recommendations. I can easily build my own computer.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
Re: Recommeded hardware specifications for building a computer for editing r3d files on a PC or Mac Pro
on Jan 16, 2015 at 12:55:02 pm

Playing back 4K r3d files at full resolution is a combination of media drive speed, GPU power and processing power. In short, the more power and faster storage the more capability you will have for playing back the footage at full resolution. Go for dual GPUs, as much RAM as possible, multiple cores and 2 SSD's - one for system and one for cache. Then look for a RAID for storage and rendering to.

It doesn't always make sense to work with r3d files straight from the camera - instead you could encode to ProRes at either proxy or 444 - one route for offline/online, and another for straight output to client. RedCineX is better than Adobe hardware for leveraging performance from Mac systems, but can't comment on PC.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Recommeded hardware specifications for building a computer for editing r3d files on a PC or Mac Pro
on Jan 16, 2015 at 8:13:02 pm

With the new Mac Pro's we can edit decent to long format R3Ds at 4K at almost real time using these specs:

Mac Pro D700 32GB 8-Core

Promise Pegasus 8TB Thunderbolt 2 RAID

GTECH G|RAID Studio 6TB Thunderbolt 2 RAID

We do this on all three NLEs however I havent tried the 4K option for Avid yet.

I use FCPX mostly at home on a Mac Pro 2012 with a ROCKET.

That works wonders in Resolve as well.

Im using ATTO SAS with the GTECH eS Pro 12TB with that one.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jan 17, 2015 at 7:33:45 pm

Should add - we can do the same with a 6 core Mac Pro, 32GB RAM and D700s. Media is stored on a G Speed Studio XL RAID.

6K is where the bottleneck comes, with only a few seconds playing before stuttering.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]