Dragon 5K Workflow Question

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Ellingham
Dragon 5K Workflow Question
on Nov 17, 2014 at 10:32:40 am

Hi All,

I'm currently prepping a project that has been shot at 5K on RED Dragon -

The project is to be finished at 1080p, but we are wanting to use the full res (5120 px) to do push-ins/reframing and crops within our 1080 timeline. I have a DIT standing by to transcode the footage for me, however I'm unsure what is the best way to work with the files...

Should we transcode to ProRes proxy files @ full res and then I cut in a 1080 timeline, allowing me and the director to view the files as a semi decent approximation of quality? or should we transcode to 1080, scale the clips up in the timeline and then correct at online stage?!

I have both FCP7 & FCPX available to me, and we will colour grade/online from the original .R3D files...

What would be the best way to practically work on this (I'm using a 2010 Mac Pro w/8GB Ram, cutting form an internal 2TB Raid config)

Return to posts index

Arthur Ditner
Re: Dragon 5K Workflow Question
on Nov 17, 2014 at 7:16:56 pm

Your system is going to choke on anything too heavy...

I would transcode with ProRes LT as your destination codec. That would be nice a lightweight you could get multiple streams OK and FCP 7 will have no problem with it.

In terms of dimensions, I would go 1920x1080 for the edit no matter what. Do all the punch ins and pan & scans you want, your computer will handle this fine, then worry about re-creating all of your repositions in the Online with the full resolution media.

What will your final output format be?

Return to posts index

Marcus Ellingham
Re: Dragon 5K Workflow Question
on Nov 18, 2014 at 9:49:59 am

Two outputs -

A 1920x1080 version and then a 1080x1920 vertical crop taking the centre of the frame.

So working with 1080 files and correcting with full red graded media is the way to go?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]