FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is my computer strong enough to handle RED footage?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Straube
Is my computer strong enough to handle RED footage?
on Nov 14, 2014 at 9:23:40 pm

I have a 2008 imac that's been very reliable for what I've been working with. I'm looking into working with some new projects that involve RED footage and I'm wondering if I should seriously start thinking about getting a new computer or if I might be able to work with what I have. These are some of the specs:

Any advice would be helpful. If you think it's possible to upgrade my machine make it last another year or so that would also work.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Marcus Ellingham
Re: Is my computer strong enough to handle RED footage?
on Nov 17, 2014 at 3:15:37 pm

The processor isn't too bad, but I would definitely look into upgrading the RAM - bringing this up to at least 8GB should help. The graphics VRAM is quite low but there is no way to upgrade that so you are stuck on that front.

What are you editing with? I would say working with transcoded ProRes files should be fine but working natively with .R3D or RMD files seems like it could be a bit of a nightmare!

Return to posts index

Dustin Straube
Re: Is my computer strong enough to handle RED footage?
on Nov 17, 2014 at 4:39:42 pm

I'm used to editing with Final Cut, but I was going to use Premiere, which seems like it's better at handling native files, but I don't know if you've had any issues with that.

A little while ago I upgraded my RAM, it used to be 2GB, I guess I should have gone for the 8GB. Do you know for sure that the 2008 imac can take two 4GB sticks? I feel like a while back I read somewhere that it could take maybe one 4GB and one 2GB, but maybe that was wrong information.

Dustin Emerson Straube
dustin.straube@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]