FORUMS: list search recent posts

Handling 6k red dragon footage?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pradeep Reddy
Handling 6k red dragon footage?
on Sep 16, 2014 at 10:28:38 pm

Hey All,

I got this data wrangling gig where I am expected to download red dragon footage and organize them for the editor.(and maybe sync audio too) They are shooting in 6k?

If I have a decent budget, what gear should I get for this job? is a mac book sufficient or will I need a mac pro tower?
Will I have to get red rocket, if I need to playback and monitor the footage?

It is a bog project with over 30 days of filming, my Director wanted me to find out the best hard drive to buy? Can you suggest something? ( I am thinking we will need 3 of those to back up everything) also what drives work best as shuttle drives to move stuff from dit station to the editor.

If you can think of something else that I need to get please do answer.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Matt Stone
Re: Handling 6k red dragon footage?
on Sep 17, 2014 at 6:29:23 pm

Hello Pradeep,

Dragon footage eats a lot of storage. A 30 day shoot will require quite a bit of storage. To get an idea of how much storage you will need RED has an easy to use calculator on their website that will tell you your typical maximum recording time on a single card when you put in the resolution, frame rate, and compression.

http://www.red.com/tools/recording-time

You will want the RED ROCKET-X with a Thunderbolt2 expansion chassis.

Thunderbolt2 RAID such as the Maxx Digital ThunderRAID2 is going to be your best bet for fast storage, and the ThunderRAID Mini for a robust shuttle drive.

We are here to help if you have other RED workflow questions.

Matt Stone
Maxx Entertainment Digital
3189 Redhill Ave. Unit B
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Telephone:(714) 374-4944
mattstone@maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Handling 6k red dragon footage?
on Oct 27, 2014 at 6:20:18 pm

14 days over 800 R3D clips took up almost 5 TB.

Your gonna need to do totals then times three for space.

If your going with the latest Mac, you might as well tough it out and dont get a ROCKET-X card.

Im not hearing great things with that combo, but I am hearing that some are working fine without it thanks to the horsepower of the new mac.

Now if your on the PC, then you maybe get the ROCKET-X.

Not sure if they are back-ordered but they seem to be on sale at the REDUSER used items section daily.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]