FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speeding up transcoding time in RedCine-X Pro

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Zecco
Speeding up transcoding time in RedCine-X Pro
on Apr 27, 2014 at 1:46:56 am

Greetings all,

I am running DIT for an independent film based in MA. We are shooting on a RED Epic in a wide range of formats from 2K - 5K, and some overcranked fps stuff as well. I am transcoding ProRes proxies in RedCine-X for edit in FCP7. I am looking for ways to speed up the transcode time, because right now we are looking at ~1 hour of footage = 4 hours transcode time.

First, a little about my system:

2012 Mac Pro
2x 2.4gHz Intel Xeon Processors (6 core)
24GB Ram
1GB ATI Radeon 5770

I am writing the files via esata, so write speed is not the issue, it seems mainly to be the transcoding process. I have allowed RedCine-X Pro access to all cores on my systems CPU (96 total), as well as access to all RAM. When watching activity monitor, the CPU usage never reaches above 30% (which I know means that the computer doesn't NEED the rest of the power), so my next logical thought was increasing the GPU to a ATI Radeon Sapphier 3GB DDR5 Mac Edition graphics card (what we can afford for the budget on this film).

Before I go ahead and pull the trigger on this graphics card, I would like some input as to whether that will increase the speed at all via OpenCL processing available in RedCine-X.

Any input would be greatly GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also, if this is in the wrong thread, please let me know and I will move it. I figured the RED camera forum would be the most logical place to post a question about the speeding up on the RedCine-X Pro transcode process.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Speeding up transcoding time in RedCine-X Pro
on Jul 3, 2014 at 7:59:57 pm

RED ROCKET for one thing.
Then next is GPU power.
I do believe that helps now with latest RCXPro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]