FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage shot at 95.9 fps, best way to playback real-time in a 23.976 time aside from 400% speed

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lewis
Footage shot at 95.9 fps, best way to playback real-time in a 23.976 time aside from 400% speed
on Apr 14, 2014 at 3:24:46 am

I have some aerial footage that was shot on an Epic at 95.9fps with a project framerate of 23.976. I want to have this footage play back at real-time speed. Obviously the easy thing to do would be to speed it up to 400% in my timeline. A second option would be to use twixtor, or a combination of timewarp in after effects and the reelsmart motion blur plugin made by revision fx. The problem is, these two options are causing my edit to fail QC due to dropped frames. I'm not aware of what equipment is being used for the QC, however i'm guessing it does some kind of pixel motion estimation or reads the temporal domain of the video input and notices any inconsistencies in the timing of the frames.

One would expect that playing back the footage at 400% speed would just select every 4th frame, and it would appear the same as if the footage were captured at 23.976 natively (aside from the difference in motion blur due to the higher shutter speed). Apparently this is not the case because anywhere I have footage in my timeline that is sped up to play real-time, the QC report picks it up. I am delivering a full ProRes HQ export of my timeline so it's not as if they were playing a media-managed version of my timeline, which would make it much easier to spot any occurrence of sped up footage.

Has anyone ever had this problem before? If so, what are some workarounds to this problem? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Lewis
Re: Footage shot at 95.9 fps, best way to playback real-time in a 23.976 time aside from 400% speed
on Apr 14, 2014 at 3:37:56 am

I should also add that I am using Premiere CC, and that also "interpreting" the footage as 95.9 yields the same result as 400% speed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]