MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

The many instances where my Vegas 12 Pro crashes.

COW Forums : MAGIX Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Kee
The many instances where my Vegas 12 Pro crashes.
on May 25, 2014 at 11:43:45 am

I've been using Vegas 12 for many years and I mostly find myself editing native R3D footage at resolutions between 2K - 5K.

For me, Vegas 12 frequently crashes when:

A) Opening projects. the project will start opening but will hold at, say, 8%. Then if I click anywhere on the screen I get the standard 'not responding' notification. The clips on my timeline remain in a 'building peaks' state. For most projects, I have to open and force quit about 5 times before the project sorts itself out. There has been instances where my project has frozen on start-up about 15 times before randomly deciding to work. Apparently no rhyme or reason. No corrupt files. This has been happening for about 3 years, on all firmwares, and I'm sick of it.

B) Recently, Vegas freezes when I copy and paste a clip from one part of my timeline to another.

C) If I hit Control-Z to undo a cut for example, 50% of the time my project freezes and requires a force quit.

Almost every time I experience a freeze-up, no matter how long I let it sort itself out (Ive left things buffer for 24 hours in the past), I eventually have to force quit.

I'm editing on a PC with a GTX650, 16GB ram, i3770K processor, fast RAID, Vegas Pro 12 [build 770].

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: The many instances where my Vegas 12 Pro crashes.
on May 25, 2014 at 12:40:46 pm

No, No, Something else on your computer is causing you this debacle Will.
Its hard for me to be specific from my point of view and the info you gave.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on May 25, 2014 at 3:35:42 pm

Program freezes up and the screen goes "gray" This is often followed by a message like: "Program has stopped responding".
OK, why has it stopped responding? The usual suspect is that a process required by the program has itself stopped or failed.
You can use the Windows Resource Monitor to try to determine what process has caused the problem.
Go to Start, Run, and enter resmon
In the Overview tab, look for the program in the image column.
Right-click on the program image name and select "Analyze Wait Chain"
If a process is the problem, you can try to simply end the process. More often than not (in my experience) this usually fixes the immediate problem and the program can continue running. Back up your work and Google the offending process to see if there may be a fix. (It's a long shot, though.)

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Joost Zeeveneegelbeek
on May 26, 2014 at 11:06:19 am

Hi Steve,

You helped me greatly before, so I hope you'll forgive me if I turn to you for this.
I have used resmon, as you suggested before, but Vegas is not listed as "not responding". The message says it is waiting for a respons. No idea what respons that might be. Vegas doesn't ask for any, as this happens during rendering. I never get to the end of the project, so I never get a complete video file, because of this problem.
I have learned from you to be sure and delete unused events from the media bin, and I tried it with and without GPU. Nothing works.
I have re-installed Vegas several times, before and after updating Windows or even re-installing that. So I've come to the end of the solutions that worked previously.

I would greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks.

J.J.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on May 26, 2014 at 2:05:35 pm

The message says it is waiting for a response

What do you get when you click on Analyse Wait Chain?

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

Joost Zeeveneegelbeek
on May 26, 2014 at 4:12:59 pm

File I/O surrogate

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on May 27, 2014 at 3:05:40 am

If Vegas terminates abnormally, the FileIOSurrogate process may be left running in memory. This can prevent a new instance of the program from starting up.
Exit Vegas then open the Task Manager, and look in the Processes Tag. Sort the list by Name. If you see FileIOSurrogate running, right-click and tell Task Manager to Kill the process. After that, the program should start up normally and relaunch a new copy of FileIOSurrogate.
There should be no fileIOSurrogate process running if Vegas is not. There should be only one instance of FileIOSurrogate running for each instance of Vegas (Vegas120.exe in the process list). You may need to refresh the task manager window to make sure.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

Joost Zeeveneegelbeek
on May 28, 2014 at 3:26:59 pm

I'm afraid I didn't read your post careful enough and killed the I/O surrgate with Vegas running. Of course then it crashed immediately.

In the mean time I've gotten to the point that I can render a project once after I started up the computer. After that, it will crash at some point. Mostly after all media have been rendered, but before the file is saved completely. I can't play the file and Windows does not list its length.
To get to a point where I can render again, I need to disconnect the computer for several hours and start anew. Not a very workable solution.

Does this tell you something about what is wrong?

To prevent flickering/flashing of events on the timeline, or have the image disappear altogether, I found that when adding specific effects (color matching, stablizing or reversing) I need to render the affected/effected event to a new track and use that instead of the original media. It's a cumbersome 'solution', but one that keeps me going for the moment.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 25, 2014 at 7:20:57 pm

Have you tried 13 yet? Seems a bit faster and more stable. I've had a lot of crashes from version 10-12 on a variety of machines. Haven't built a complex project yet with 13 but plan to soon...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Will Kee
on May 26, 2014 at 11:09:07 am

I'm a bit weary of upgrading to Vegas Pro 13 because there is no assurance that these issues will go away.

Return to posts index

Luigi Perrotta
on Nov 5, 2014 at 2:17:16 pm

I don't understand how Sony can put out a Vegas 13 without fixing the problems with 12?
My Vegas 12 also crashes a lot, at first Sony told me to go to properties/option preferences/ turn the GPU ACCELERATION OFF.
AUDIO DEVICE choose the Microsoft Mapper.
A year later I still can't use my GPU ACCELERATION CARD (GT 640) ON
I can't use my Audiofire 4 by echo.
To make matters worse, my VEGAS PRO still crashes. Any time I seat at the computer doing a project is an experiment in frustation.

I noticed that "Strong vault" and "auto play" are running in the background.
I think they cause the crashes.
Does anyone know these programs?
I tried to remove Strongvault my windows 7 wont allow, a screen comes up saying that something is missing from windows.
AUTO PLAY doesn't appear as a program in the control panel. I wonder if this program is not part of my external drive.

Thank you all the help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]