MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

How to rotate video

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan McSchmidt
How to rotate video
on Dec 18, 2013 at 11:39:27 pm

Hi everyone -- I'm having a hard time doing the following:

1) I have 1920x1080 footage that was filmed vertically (the cam was literally turned 90 degrees clockwise for a portrait style video). What should my project settings be, and how can I change the video preview while cutting so it's also rotated? My attempts to do this result in it rotating, but cutting off the top/bottom of the video and maintaining a 1920x1080 landscape.

2) In Adobe Premiere Pro, when I click the head and drag it so scroll through-out the video, it's instantaneous no matter where the head is. In Sony Vegas, when I drag left and right, the head "lags" behind. It's incredibly annoying and makes it difficult to cut. Is there a setting I can change so it snaps to place based on where my mouse is (while dragging)?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: How to rotate video
on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:01:58 am

You don't say which version of Vegas you're using but it has had the option of doing a vertical display since Pro 8.
To access this feature, open your Properties window and choose the desired rotation amount and direction.
This allows the image to be shown portrait style without having to use Pan/Crop or any other tool to rotate it.

Return to posts index

Ryan McSchmidt
on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:16:53 am

Hi -- Thank you for the response. I have tried this, but it does not work. The preview dimensions change, but the video within it does not (it still remains horizontal).

Do you know how I could change this, so the video itself rotates within the video preview?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Ryan McSchmidt
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:07:41 am

Just to clarify:

When I change the dimensions of the project settings, it changes the video preview box from horizontal to vertical. The video on the timeline, however, remains horizontal.

If I go into "Track Motion" and change the "Angle" rotation to 90 degrees, it rotates the video to vertical however it scales it down by 50% so it looks like a small vertically oriented video inside of the larger, 1080x1920 canvas.

When I export the video, it retains this display so I never got a full 1080x1920 video. Just what looks like a 1080x1920 canvas with like a 540x960 video within it.

Return to posts index

Ryan McSchmidt
on Dec 19, 2013 at 6:22:49 am

I found the solution:

You have to import the clip into the timeline, go into the pan/crop area, click the "lock aspect ratio" button so it's not activated. Then, rotate the clip, change the width/height from 1920x1080 to 1080x1920.

Then, go into the Properties section and change the dimensions in there.

For whatever reason, Sony made the software so convoluted that you can't do it in a different order. I tried changing the properties first, then doing that and it doesn't work.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Dec 19, 2013 at 12:11:24 pm

I have no idea why you're having so much trouble. I shot a very short test video with my smartphone in portrait mode (i.e. rotated).
I brought it into Pro 10 and, as expected, I had large black bars on both sides. I went into my Project Properties as shown earlier, changed the setting to 90 clockwise, hit Apply and my display was now correct. No need to go into Pan/Crop or Track Motion and get further confused.

Return to posts index

Ryan McSchmidt
on Dec 19, 2013 at 6:33:27 pm

I'm assuming it works that way for you because your cell phone is automatically rotating the video when you rotate it to film portrait (mine does). I'm using an actual camera -- there are no black bars on the sides when filming in portrait. In fact, it doesn't have a portrait mode. When you film vertically, the videos still come out exactly the same as landscape. A 1920x1080 frame. It just looks sideways.

When I do what you suggest, all that Vegas does is change the wrapping canvas from 1920x1080 to 1080x1920. The actual video displayed within this canvas remains in landscape -- but Vegas scales it so it fits within the new, rotated canvas. So now the preview is 1080x1920, with what looks like a 1080x1080 video inside of it -- with black bars/empty sections on the top and bottom. You have to actually rotate the video within the canvas.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Dec 20, 2013 at 1:55:01 pm

Ryan, my apologies for not catching on to what you were trying to tell me.
In an earlier reply you mentioned changing properties but did you try changing the rotation value in the event's properties window?
Right click an event, either in the Project Media tab or on the timeline (switch to the Media tab of you do it this way) and change the Rotation to the desired setting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]