MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Sony YUV Codec outside of Vegas

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Riker
Sony YUV Codec outside of Vegas
on Nov 29, 2013 at 5:17:04 pm

I have a video I am considering trying to use the Sony YUV codec thru the AVI template as I hear the sony codec are good to use. Problem I'm having is I have to open it up in Microsoft Expression Encoder next in order to convert it to final format. Problem is Expression Encoder doesn't recognize the file/format/codec. Is there a Sony YUV codec to install for other apps to access the resulting file?

Note I have a machine dedicated to video rendering and have and want to keep as little installed on it as possible. Though guessing no one here would ever recommend a massive codec pack.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

JR

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Sony YUV Codec outside of Vegas
on Nov 29, 2013 at 6:42:04 pm

[John Riker] "Is there a Sony YUV codec to install for other apps to access the resulting file?"
Not that I know of. The Sony YUV codec should work fine in other applications on the same PC as Vegas. I use it with After Effects and it works fine. This might be a problem with the Microsoft Expression Encoder.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

John Riker
on Nov 29, 2013 at 6:57:28 pm
Last Edited By John Riker on Nov 29, 2013 at 7:39:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. Microsoft Expressions encoder says "Cannot find video codec Uyvy". Is there a particular DLL or something that contains the codec for Sony YUV codec?

One item to note since Vegas 12 is 64-bit, Expression Encoder is 32-bit. I have 32-bit versions of prior versions of Vegas, but not sure if there is something I can do in order to get support for this.

As a side note, is there any reason to use Sony YUV as an intermediate codec over just doing an uncompressed AVI? I know Expression can open the uncompressed AVI file, just not sure if I run into any colorspace issues with uncompressed files as opposed to one labeled as YUV.

I have read in some of the posts here the sony yuv codec is self contained to the app so not positive if having Vegas installed is enough.

Thanks.

JR

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 29, 2013 at 8:59:09 pm

[John Riker] "One item to note since Vegas 12 is 64-bit, Expression Encoder is 32-bit. I have 32-bit versions of prior versions of Vegas, but not sure if there is something I can do in order to get support for this."
The bit-ness of the program must match the bit-ness of the codec so 64-bit codecs will not work with 32-bit programs.
[John Riker] "As a side note, is there any reason to use Sony YUV as an intermediate codec over just doing an uncompressed AVI? I know Expression can open the uncompressed AVI file, just not sure if I run into any colorspace issues with uncompressed files as opposed to one labeled as YUV."
Sony YUV will give you smaller output than Uncompressed but uncompressed will work just as well. It just produces really large files.
[John Riker] "I have read in some of the posts here the sony yuv codec is self contained to the app so not positive if having Vegas installed is enough."
Actually what you read may have been correct. I do remember a time when external programs like After Effects could not use it, but I just tested it with AE CS6 and Premiere Pro CS6 and both read and played the Sony YUV file. I have Vegas Pro 12.0 so perhaps earlier versions of Vegas Pro did not expose the codec outside of Vegas.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Dec 1, 2013 at 6:04:15 am
Last Edited By Norman Black on Dec 1, 2013 at 6:08:32 am

The UYVY codec should implemented/installed in Windows by default. At least my analysis of the registry shows the FOURCC, UYVY, is implemented by a Microsoft DLL on my system. UYVY is what "Sony YUV" outputs.

My setup is Vegas 12.

UYVY is standard known YUV format, and is simply a YUV format with color subsampling of 4:2:2. In other words, there is some compression being done, IF you source file(s) were 4:4:4. Most cameras are 4:2:2 at best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]