MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Conversion lighter than original

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Riker
Conversion lighter than original
on Oct 26, 2013 at 12:12:00 am

I have an unencrypted personal BluRay that I can't open in Vegas so use handbrake to convert to lossless mp4. Use:

High profile preset
MP4 container
Lossless
X264 preset ultra fast

Can then open in Vegas 8-bit progressive. I use the neat video plugin to do some minor cleanup and output to avi uncompressed with HD 1080-24p YUV template adjusting to uncompressed. Using Vegas pro 12

Resulting video when the picture is blank, is considerably lighter than the original source. Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks.

JR

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Conversion lighter than original
on Oct 26, 2013 at 5:54:21 am

I'm guessing that something is hard-wired into a BR that gives you this. ALSO, Vegas isn't intuitive in the way it deals with MP4 imports and reverses their C-RGB to S-RGB. We've all done it.

Is there a way to track down within HB what is going on? Anyhoo, this is a known result of using HB plus the way with which Vegas deals with this "lightening" of media.

Ah! The other thing is that maybe uyyou have set your monitor to account for this and it's making your media lighter. Vegas allows me to do this.

Several variables to check out here.....

Cheers

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Rick Shorrock
on Oct 26, 2013 at 10:54:24 am

In the project settings, did you conform the project template to the properties of your imported video? I've experienced a similar problem to yours, but did not conform the project settings to match the video that I imported. Also, does the video look lighter within Vegas' timeline, or just after your render? If it looks lighter within the timeline, try changing the pixel format with the project properties tab from 8-bit to 32-bit full range. Most of my projects are 8-bit, but changing to 32-bit full range always darkens my footage.

Return to posts index

John Riker
on Oct 26, 2013 at 1:37:04 pm

Thank you both for your input. I'm going so spend some time today to test some short clips testing/adjusting as you commented.

Graham, got the impression from your comment there may be better ways to get my BluRay track into Vegas than handbrake. My intent is to have as little quality loss as possible getting the VC-1 based BluRay file into Vegas for editing. I'm not a fan of mp4 for this but looking at mpeg2 tools today seem to have faded a bit and can't get a good read on them. Figured mpeg2 was older technology but may still be the right choice here. Input is appreciated.

JR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]