MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Davinci Resolve Workflow with Sony Vegas Pro

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Roberts
Davinci Resolve Workflow with Sony Vegas Pro
on Aug 7, 2013 at 6:05:14 pm

Does anyone have any experience grading with this using Sony Vegas Pro video?

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/models

Pretty awesome software- Free/lite version is available too

T

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
Re: Davinci Resolve Workflow with Sony Vegas Pro
on Aug 7, 2013 at 7:28:08 pm

No, but it seems amazing. I plan on getting the BlackMagic camera at some point, which comes free with Resolve.

Return to posts index

Michael Toffan
on Aug 7, 2013 at 10:38:41 pm

Hi Thomas

I have been using Davinci Resolve Lite side by side with Vegas Pro 12 for about 4 or 5 months. I recently did an example where I recolored one of my existing projects using Davinci Resolve. The Vimeo link below provides this example (original and recolored) along with comments on what I did.

JUN22013 DevouPark RESOLVE GRDG STDY FINAL

What seems to work will for me is to bring my clips into Vegas, do a rough edit (no cross fades or other FX) and render out to Sony MXF file using a "HD422 1080-30p 50mps" custom template I modified to keep it progressive. (note you can use the 24p, 50i or 60i templates as well). The Sony MXF loads right in as a single file and Resolve has a scene detection capability that works very well to split it into the individual clips. On return, after color grading, render back out to one of the three Sony MXF file choices as individual or one clip depending on your desire. The MXF file works very well without loss of fidelity (you can find numerous references to that from John Rofano on this site).

Once back into Vegas Pro, you can do additional work on it and/or render out to any desired format you wish. I usually render out in 1080-30p mp4.

Davinci Resolve is very powerful tool, I can certainly say for me, it was well worth the learning curve. I can recommend a couple books and a workshop to come up to speed. The 600+ page manual has all the details; but, for many it can be a difficult read and it is always nice to see a demo.

Michael T

Return to posts index

Thomas Roberts
on Aug 7, 2013 at 10:47:06 pm

Thanks, very helpful! Just getting into the lite version.

T

Return to posts index

Michael Toffan
on Aug 7, 2013 at 11:11:14 pm

You're welcome!

Unless you are doing Raw or 4K, the lite version should provide most of what you need.

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Aug 23, 2013 at 12:45:28 am

I am just learning Resolve now, and am using VP12, which "should" import and export AAF files to "rount trip" with resolve, has anyone tried this yet with success?

M

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Aug 23, 2013 at 12:58:30 am

SONY VEGAS TO DAVINCI RESOLVE ROUND TRIP WORKFLOW

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Apr 22, 2014 at 12:17:54 am

The "video candy" tutorial is not working for me, he has VP 10/32 bit. I'm using VP 12/64bit. I bring in my media, and the .aaf file, nothing! It says there is no "media" in the timeline, even though there is! Just for fun I imported an .xml and resolve crashed immediately, with no warnings, every time.

Has anyone got this to work?

Regards,

Malcolm

Malcolm

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Apr 22, 2014 at 12:45:22 am

If I render before importing to resolve, rather than "rount tripping" how do I handle dissolves? Do I have to render 2 video tracks and then dissolve back in Vp?

M

Malcolm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]