MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Closed captioning craziness - captions jump to end and extend timeline by hours

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lori Lin
Closed captioning craziness - captions jump to end and extend timeline by hours
on Jul 19, 2013 at 4:22:00 pm

I'm just learning how to do captioning in Vegas pro 12, latest build, (to be able to generate subtitles for a DVD).
My first project worked just fine: I created a .txt file with each caption on a separate line, imported it, and used the ctrl+k method to drop them in where they belong while I watched. Fine-tuned by dragging the markers, and added a few extra captions using the c command (I needed some {EDM} markers to shut of captions at the end of sections). It was really fast and easy, and I exported my .srt file with no problems. I was SO HAPPY that this was going to work so well!

Then the weird stuff started.

I did the same thing with the next project, which was the same setup as the first. It all worked up to the point that I tried to insert a caption (with the c command) or edit one of the existing ones.

If I do that, the new or edited caption jumps to the very end of the project, not where I have placed the cursor. And what's worse, the caption extends the length of the project by HOURS. My timeline gets HUGE. Even though I can see the correct time in the captioning pop-up as I'm working, once I "OK" it, this weird jumping thing happens. And trying to edit the caption (by right-clicking on it, or in the info panel) just makes it worse.

It's only in some projects, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind this behavior. Rebooting doesn't help.

I've searched for a couple of days now, and can't find anyone else having this problem. Sure hoping someone can chime in and let me know where to start troubleshooting.

Cheers,
Lori

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
Re: Closed captioning craziness - captions jump to end and extend timeline by hours
on Jul 19, 2013 at 4:37:15 pm

Using Vegas to put in captions is hugely time consuming and almost impossible at best in my opinion.
John Rofrano has a captioning plug in called Caption Assistant that is great.

Roger Bansemer - PaintingAndTravel.com

Return to posts index

Lori Lin
Re: Closed captioning craziness - captions jump to end and extend timeline by hours
on Jul 19, 2013 at 4:45:40 pm

Thanks for the tip, Roger. The frustrating thing is that Vegas worked PERFECTLY the first time. I am aware of the plugin, but am worried about investing more money if it wouldn't solve the problem. It works within Vegas, if I understand correctly. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jul 19, 2013 at 5:38:49 pm

Try this.

Holding Ctrl + Shift while starting Vegas will reset all preferences and delete cached data prior to loading the program.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Lori Lin
on Jul 19, 2013 at 6:40:49 pm

Thanks, Steve. I tried it and no joy, I'm afraid. The first marker I tried to insert added 20 hours to my timeline and jumped to the end.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jul 19, 2013 at 9:10:03 pm

Post your veg file and I'll try it.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]