MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

I've been unfaithful

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Edwards
I've been unfaithful
on Apr 30, 2013 at 9:27:35 pm

After years of using nothing but Vegas I've just done a serious project using Avid.

Over the years my whining about peering through a fog because the only way to see what I was editing in HD was to use draft preview mode was greeted with comments suggested my systems were inadequate or I was making unreasonable demands. I've grown tired of seeing the message "Not Responding" many times a day.. when I try to return to multicamera mode having left it.. when I try to delete an unused 3D video track, when I speak to it roughly or when there is an "R" in the month.. I'm sick of looking for workarounds for doing things Vegas won't do without a fight.

For balance: I love the way Vegas works,- it's intuitive and straightforward whereas performing many operations in Avid reminds me of struggling with the automated phone tree I have to go through when calling a large corporation. Someone warned me that Media Composer would mean a steep learning curve and they were right.

BUT.. I have just edited non-stop for four days without a single hang!

I don't want any zingy new features in Vegas 14 (I can't imagine they'd risk a 13), just STABILITY !! Or I may be unfaithful again..

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: I've been unfaithful
on May 1, 2013 at 12:12:08 am

Nothing wrong with using Avid Media Composer if it gets the
job done and the income coming in, one can easily have both
it and Vegas running side by side on the same system to have
the best of either world.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on May 1, 2013 at 8:39:32 am

True, nothing wrong with Avid, but why should one be forced to buy a second package, when one should do what it is supposed to do? SVP is by no means cheap, and I feel like I have been paying for upgrades for limited benefit. I think since I bought Vegas 9 for $900 back in the day, I have since spent $500 in 'upgrades' that have not brought complete stability and performance I was expecting.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on May 1, 2013 at 4:51:20 pm

I understand your point Nigel. But thru the years for me, Vegas 11
was the only version i ever regretted and had serious issues with.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on May 2, 2013 at 5:40:24 pm

That's funny because I've had nothing but problems with 12 and have relied on the stability of 11 since giving up on 12 entirely. I've also had several hangups with DVDA 6 and went right back to 5.2 which has always been my rock.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on May 2, 2013 at 10:02:37 pm

That's weird indeed David.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index