MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

light rays not rendering like preview

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Shelton
light rays not rendering like preview
on Mar 5, 2013 at 8:24:31 pm

Hi there
I have Sony Vegas Studio HD Platinum 10. I'm keen on the Sony light rays FX (as supplied with software) in part of a video I'm doing. In the preview window it looks great but in the final render the rays are 50% or more down of what they were in the preview. I've tried rendering to mpeg2, mp4 and avi but with the same result. Can anyone explan why this might be happening?
kind regards
Steve, UK

Return to posts index

Pat Keough
Re: light rays not rendering like preview
on Mar 5, 2013 at 10:19:00 pm

Can you explain what you mean by down? Darker or actually lower on the screen?

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
on Mar 5, 2013 at 10:33:28 pm

That's probably happening because of the way your effects are lined up.
Try putting the light effect at the beginning of your chain of effects.

Roger Bansemer - PaintingAndTravel.com

Return to posts index

Steve Shelton
on Mar 6, 2013 at 1:23:21 am

Hi and thanks for reply:
First Pat - sorry I didn't explain it well, it's about the generation of the ray ..see pic below
second Roger - the ray is the only effect in that particular clip

Preview window - note extent of rays

Rendered mpeg2 (1920x1080) there are rays there but they are much shorter and don't have the same impact.

Can anyone explain?
PS A still from my band's yet to be released video!

Steve

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Mar 6, 2013 at 2:21:23 am

I learned a long time ago to make sure to set my Preview window to Best/Full for accurate preview of any FX I apply.

Return to posts index

Joao Souza
on Mar 6, 2013 at 7:53:22 am

His preview is on BEST(according to his pic).

We have so much time and so little to do! / Willy Wonka

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Mar 6, 2013 at 1:38:46 pm

[Joao Souza] "His preview is on BEST(according to his pic)."

His preview is set to Best/Auto, not Best/Full. There is a difference.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Mar 6, 2013 at 2:35:24 pm

Here's an example of the difference between Best/Auto and Best/Full.
I think you'll agree that the difference is quite substantial.

Return to posts index

Steve Shelton
on Mar 6, 2013 at 9:19:14 pm

My hat of to you Mike, that was exactly the problem, thank you so much ...I shall never dare to ever-so-slightly doubt a sacred COW master's judgement ever again!! :)

I have to say it is rather naughty by Sony that it happens ...and on 'best' auto, which is the default. There is something about the word 'best' that implies, well, 'best' preview representation. Odd thing is, checking it out just now, that the rays look better the poorer the quality setting you have in preview window ...they are awesome in 'draft'; shame I can't transfer that effect to the render.

Anyway thank you so much, would have never have worked that out myself and nothing on Sony help about it, so thank you COW once again, you have a new devoted follower!

Steve
UK

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Mar 7, 2013 at 4:04:36 am

Steve, as much as I'd like to take credit for that "discovery", it was another poster on a Vegas forum who tipped me off to the fact that certain Vegas FX are not always WYSIWYG :(

Return to posts index

Colin Richard
on Jun 9, 2020 at 4:46:54 am

well, it's only 2020 and i've experienced the exact same problem, which is why i'm here, thanks for sharing the solution you found.

It's a total bummer, i preview in 'draft' and the ProDAD light filters i was using looked incredible, but when i rendered the video, the light effects weren't visible, which was thoroughly confusing.

What a total dis-appointment. Basically, after render, the lighting effect has almost zero impact on the video, whereas in 'preview' mode it seems to behave as the 'plug-in' authors intended. Why can't they address or fix this ongoing 'problem'?

Sorry for having to say it, but i'm getting tired of Sony Vegas 'PRO' 16 and Magix. They keep peddling 'newer' versions but never seem interested in fixing code and/or bugs that plague the old versions.

Return to posts index

Colin Richard
on Jun 9, 2020 at 5:12:21 am

Even if i put the preview mode in its highest setting and try adjusting the proDAD effect settings, it can't reproduce what's seen in the draft mode of the preview window. This is some serious flawed software, talking about Sony Vegas.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jun 9, 2020 at 8:04:35 pm

Hi Colin

I went thru a dozen effect with Prodad in Vegas Pro 16 and I did see a big difference in Preview when I went from Best (auto) to Best (full) just like Mike K. described. And my renders matched what was displayed. I'm not saying that Vegas Pro is perfect, far from it, but none of the other ones are either... and I've worked with some of them. They all have their quirks. (take a look at the other corresponding forums on Cow)

I would suggest that you look more towards your hardware. It could be that you have a bottleneck somewhere, in-compatible parts or even defective ones that may not be performing to peak capacity. A computer used for editing is not built the same way as, let's say, a gaming one. A wild guess on my part would be to start with your GPU. Again, you may have a wizbang GPU but not the best for editing.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb
Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core 4.60GHz
Radeon RX 5700 XT
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1 and a bunch of others
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Steve Shelton
on Mar 6, 2013 at 9:55:22 am

Sorry, confused by your point? The preview is on best, the problem I've got is the preview is handling the ray generation better than the render is. It makes life difficult as you spend ages getting it as you want it using the preview to find it hasn't worked out in the render.

Return to posts index

Joao Souza
on Mar 6, 2013 at 8:07:00 am

Preview shows how video will be rendered, it's the last thing before rendering so if the order of effects is causing that problem, preview window should show it, if not it'd mean preview is before effects so we shouldn't see effects in preview.

Sometimes when I have that kind of effect problem, I just duplicate that track and delete the original one, God knows why the copy always worked perfectly.
Sometimes I just add a new video track(if I'm using only a few effects) and drop media from bad track there.
But I always was able to see those problems in preview so I have no clue why it's rendering differently than preview.

We have so much time and so little to do! / Willy Wonka

Return to posts index

Steve Shelton
on Mar 6, 2013 at 9:48:58 am

Thank you Joao for comments, I'll certainly give that a go ...especially as nothing else has been suggested!
Thanks
Steve

Return to posts index

Pat Keough
on Mar 6, 2013 at 3:22:19 pm

Mike's suggestion is not to be so quickly dismissed or even potentialy ridiculed. Everyone seems to be latching onto the "Best" portion of the preview settings and not the "auto" as he pointed out.

Your project is full 1920x1080 25p BUT your preview is only at 480x270 25p. I'm not saying that it is the ultimate reason or that there is not another problem but dismissing his help without acctually understanding what he is both saying and actually illustrating by saying again that you DO have it set to best is not the way to go.

Maybe try Best (FULL) and then come back with your irritation that someone couldn't solve your problem for free for you. Then shoot a ticket to Sony Support once you are sure it is not just a setting.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Mar 6, 2013 at 5:08:56 pm

Thanks Pat. Over the years I've learned that the Preview window setting has a big effect on how certain FX will show up and nothing on others.

Return to posts index

Pat Keough
on Mar 6, 2013 at 5:25:25 pm

Well Mike: that and your screen grabs pretty much showed the same thing happening and why. Not too sure how they could have been missed that....

Pretty cool screen grab from the music video though. Kinda makes me think of the Steven King Dark Tower books.

Return to posts index

Steve Shelton
on Mar 6, 2013 at 9:28:45 pm

Hi Pat
Posted on other branch of this thread that Mike was spot on; set my preview to best full and it is exactly as per render.
Thank you for time though and was you compliment re 'Steve King look' at my video clips or the one's Mike posted.
If my clip, ...wow thanks!
Still more to do on it, going to try my first mix of GCI from Maya with Green Screening all to be compiled on Sony Vegas in next couple of week ...not sure the rest of the band think I can pull it off though; think I'm nuts! ..so expect some more questions soon haha

Steve

Return to posts index

Pat Keough
on Mar 7, 2013 at 7:13:19 pm

Well, way to admit you were wrong with class and humility. (I'm not using sarcasm) I was talking about your screen grab. It looks like you were playing at a costume party or something and the guy in the center in the gunslinger costume with the light rays shooting from behind him (from the best (Auto) preview) looks pretty cool.

Well, at least now that you are seeing what you will get in the preview window. Unfortunately, that light rays effect in Vegas 10 is not that great. I was just messing with the Sony Rays effect in Vegas 12 and was wondering why you were having so much trouble until I went back to 10 and used Sony Light Rays. Now I understand. I know it doesn't help your situation but the effect is MUCH improved in Vegas Pro 12 and I'm guessing it would be the same in Studio 12.

Return to posts index

Steve Shelton
on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:39:14 pm

Thank you Pat
It's my band video for a chilli peppers style of song we're putting out on you tube and basically the guy in the middle is the lead singer and in a funky mid8 break he turns into the 'funkmiester' and struts up to (as per still) and transforms this character that has unfortunately stumbled into our concert! we got loads of friends to turn up at the video shoot in a hall with instructions to dress as wacky as possible ..and they did! Video feel is sort of like the B52s love shack but darker with a little weird plot going on ...but in a fun way. :)

I have to say you are the bearer of great news for me, regarding rays, as I have just put in an order for Vegas 12 (only the studio version) - sort of felt the need to regarding codecs due to an earlier post I had. I do lots of sound recording too and although my PC is pretty excellent spec it's limited now by being 32 bit. I feel an upgrade before the end of the year which might mean, if I get on with the studio version ok, I go for the pro version ...might know what I'm doing by then!
Thanks
steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]