MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

How to change timeline increments??

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Colon
How to change timeline increments??
on Sep 25, 2012 at 1:45:45 am

Hello all. I'm new to Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11 and also to CreativeCOW.

Im coming from using Apple and Final Cut Pro.

Here is my problem:

I have 2 cameras and 1 field recorder (audio). When I start recording, I use a clapperboard and use that as my marker for when I'm editing. So when I drop my videos and audio on the timeline, I line them all up by using the clapperboard sound as my reference point. I zoom into the audio portion, find exactly where the clapperboard makes the clapping now and I set the timeline marker right at the beginning and cut away everything to the left (before the noise) and then drag the clips all the way over to the left and start there so that all my videos and audios are in sync.

In Final Cut Pro I could put the timeline marker near the starting point and just use my right arrow key to move the marker over until I was where I needed to be. In Vegas, the increments are too big. Lets say my clapperboard sound starts somewhere in between 5 seconds and 6 seconds, if my marker is on 5 and I move over it goes to 6 seconds. I cant get in between to where the noise begins. If I zoom in I believe its actually in the milliseconds range really, but even then the increments are just too large for me to get to the starting point so that I can cut away and sync with the rest.

1) how do I get smaller increments so that I can precisely cut away what I need?
2) as I read over what I type, I'm wondering if there is a better way to "sync" audio in post. Yes, I can record from the field recorder straight into the cam, but is there a better way to sync if I record everything individually? is there some industry standard to doing sync in post that I'm not aware of?

***keep in mind, i'm a newbie and I like to learn, please help***

Return to posts index

Jeff Schroeder
Re: How to change timeline increments??
on Sep 25, 2012 at 12:10:00 pm

Gary,

Sounds like you need to zoom into your timeline. Use the scroll wheel on your mouse or grab an edge of the horizontal scrollbar and drag it. You can also use the plus and minus arrows on any scroll bar. The increments for the arrow keys will become smaller, until they are frame size.

Jeff

2-Xeon X5680 @ 3.33, EVGA SR-2 Mobo, 48GB DDR3, GTX 580 3072MB, 16TB Attached Storage, Win7, Vegas 11 x64

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Sep 25, 2012 at 2:08:49 pm

Use the 1 and 3 keys on the numeric keypad to move an event 1 frame at a time.
If this isn't fine enough for you, disable "Quantize to Frames" and slide the audio event(s) manually.

PLEASE NOTE: do this for audio events only as you do not want video frames to end up where they're not supposed to be.

Once you get things where they're supposed to be, group all tracks for a specific event together by selecting all of them and pressing the 'g' key.
If you want to ungroup them, repeat this selection process and press the 'u' key.

Return to posts index

Gary Colon
on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:21:23 pm

Thanks for the 2 replies so far. I'm at school right now but as soon as I get to my computer I'll try them out!

Concerning my second question...is there a more professional way to do this? Should I be connecting my audio device to my camcorder or is individual recording the correct way to go?

Return to posts index

Jeff Schroeder
on Sep 25, 2012 at 4:25:50 pm

As far as syncing goes, I just line up the waveforms on the timeline. I let my cameras record audio even though I will toss it out.

Jeff

2-Xeon X5680 @ 3.33, EVGA SR-2 Mobo, 48GB DDR3, GTX 580 3072MB, 16TB Attached Storage, Win7, Vegas 11 x64

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Sep 25, 2012 at 7:22:31 pm

[Gary Colon] "Concerning my second question...is there a more professional way to do this? Should I be connecting my audio device to my camcorder or is individual recording the correct way to go?"

If you had Vegas Pro, you could take advantage of a fantastic tool called Plural Eyes.

Since you can't though, the way you're doing it is the accepted way.
As Jeff says, having a scratch track on your camera helps a lot in getting things synced up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]