MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Merging two projects

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Angle
Merging two projects
on Mar 26, 2012 at 11:31:07 pm

Hi all. I have two separate rough cut sequences (or technically Vegas projects?) that need to be merged into one sequence for continued editing. How can these two be combined (without nesting either original sequence) into one single sequence? In FCP, I used to copy a sequence from one project and simply paste onto the the timeline of the other. I'm not finding a way to do this in Vegas 11 Pro. I'm simply trying to merge two separtely saved sequences onto one single timeline and tie them both together without nesting. Can this be done? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andrew Lenczycki
Re: Merging two projects
on Mar 27, 2012 at 12:32:52 am

You can certainly copy the contents of Part A into a new timeline (Combined), then copy Part B into the timeline as well. You would have two instances of Vegas running at the same time (your Project A and your Combined, then your Project B and your Combined).

I'm not sure what you have against nesting, but the EASIEST way to do this is to open Vegas, save as your Combined project, then drag the Project A.veg file onto the Combined timeline, then drag the Project B.veg file onto the Combined timeline.

If for some reason you need to change something in your Project A or Project B.veg file, you can open the file directly from your Combined project (a new instance of Vegas will open to edit the Project A.veg or Project B.veg file). When editing is done, it's automatically saved back into the Combined project.

Nesting segments into a "Master" project can cut way back on the clutter, especially is you use many event tracks as I do. Once I get my "opening teaser" portion set, I save that and drag into my Master project. The entire .veg file will only take up two tracks (one video, and one audio). From there, I progress to the next segment I'm working on. When that's done, I drag that .veg file onto my Master.veg timeline.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Richard Angle
on Mar 27, 2012 at 10:52:34 pm

Thanks for your reply, Andrew. My only issue with nested sequences is that they are flatted down into single master clip which dis-allows further editing of the sequence. I'd like the option of having multiple sequences of rough drafts. For example, one sequence per interview setting of a documentary. Upon completion of all rough cuts, I'd put them all onto the same timeline and continue editing. A flattened nested sequence would not allow this.

I was finally able to carry intack clips over as you had suggested; by opening separate instances of Vegas, copying and pasting. The problem before is that I was opening Vegas, copying and then opening the second sequence within the same instance. The clipboard info would not carry over to the second project as Vegas was closing and reopening. Thanks for your time. This is good to know.

Return to posts index

Andrew Lenczycki
on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:57:05 am

" My only issue with nested sequences is that they are flatted down into single master clip which dis-allows further editing of the sequence"

Actually, you can still edit a nested sequence. If you right click on the sequence, select Edit in Vegas (EditFilename.veg) from the context sensitive menu. A new instance of Vegas will open with the EditFilename.veg file opened (with all its tracks expanded out). When you're done editing EditFilename.veg, save the file and close that instance. The updated EditFilename.veg will be reflected in your nested project.

Now if you find you are repeatedly opening to edit one of your nested files, this may be more of an annoyance to you, but for the occassional few changes, it works quite well.

Return to posts index

Richard Angle
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:40:00 pm

Ahh... I didn't realize that a nested sequence could expand back out to its original separate clips. This is good to know. Thank you for informing me, Andrew!

Return to posts index

Tony Culpin
on Sep 9, 2013 at 9:41:06 am

Hi, I am trying to merge two projects, both of which have extensive edits, overdubs, volume changes and various video effects applied. I can get them both into what will become the nested project but I seem to loose all the effects I previously applied which means I have to start all over again, not what I want to do!

Is there a way of combining two or more previously finished projects complete will ALL effects applied into one that can be rendered out, or will I have to render them seperately and combine them in DVD Architect Pro?

Tony

Return to posts index

Andrew Lenczycki
on Sep 9, 2013 at 6:01:02 pm

Tony, I'm not sure you're truly nesting your two projects. I give a detailed description of how to do this in the thread above.

When you have gotten Part 1 completed (which has extensive edits, overdubs, volume changes and various video effects applied), save that as Part1.veg (or your filename of choosing). Do the same with your Part 2 project. Now open a new instance of Vegas (I assume you are using some version of Vegas PRO - I have 10 & 12), and simply drag the two .veg files (Part1.veg and Part2.veg) into your new project (which will become your Master). ALL of your edits, volume changes, etc. should be encapsulated in the (Part1 and Part2) .veg files, which will only show up as a single video track and a single audio track (assuming you have audio on each). If you find that you need to "tweak" something in Part1.veg, simply right-click on the Part1.veg file in your Master Vegas project and select Edit in Vegas (Part1.veg), which will open a new instance of Vegas in which your Part1.veg file is in it's fully expanded format. From there, make edits needed, then save the Part1.veg file. You can close this instance of Vegas, and when you return to the Master project, the Part1 edits will be incorporated into this nested project.

The more DIFFICULT way of doing this is to create an empty track for each track used in Part1.veg (as an example, if you have 6 video tracks and 4 audio tracks, you would duplicate all of these in your Master Vegas project). Next, select the first event in each of the tracks in the Part1.veg file, then right-click and select the Select Events to End menu option, then right-click again and select Copy. Now go to the Master project, select the first (empty) track, then right-click and select the Paste option. This should paste all the tracks copied from Part1.veg into the Master project. This is a little bit more trouble and finicky than just using the true nesting method.

Andrew Lenczycki

Return to posts index

Tony Culpin
on Sep 10, 2013 at 6:10:02 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the very detailed reply. I am sure I did the nesting as you have explained but i'll give it another go and see what results I get.

Kind regards,

Tony

PS I am having issues using a Tascam USB-122 audio interface with Vegas too, it distorts badly after a while and I have to resort to using the default internal sound card, any ideas??

Return to posts index

Andrew Lenczycki
on Sep 10, 2013 at 9:14:17 pm

Tony,

I'm not familiar with the Tascam USB-122 hardware. To get help with that, I would suggest you start a new thread, as the more knowledgeable guys that can help you may not read down into this thread.

Andrew Lenczycki

Return to posts index

Juan Aguilar
on Dec 17, 2013 at 2:31:37 pm

Andrew,

I usually just look for references and execute. But I just have to thank you and congratualate you on the time and knolidge you are sharing. Truly wonderfull. Thank YOU!!!

JFA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]