MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

And yet another choppy playback question.....

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mac McGinnis
And yet another choppy playback question.....
on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:12:31 pm

So I captured some HDV footage from my HDR FX1 and the files imported as mt2. I pull the footage into the timeline and the playback lags, audio drops, an occasional pixelation, etc. This is with no effects, just straight video. I rendered a 1 minute clip to mpeg2 and got the same result.
I captured the same footage in SD and it plays fine. My end product will be a regular DVD but shouldn't I be able to view this without this condition happening? I matched my project to my media, etc.

Running Vegas10 Pro, Windows7, 64bit. i7.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: And yet another choppy playback question.....
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:15:03 pm

Oh man, you should not be having that problem using Vegas 10.
(By the way, you have a lovely little Camcorder there).

Does the HD footages plays back ok with none of the issues
you mentioned, in your media player after capture?

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index

Mac McGinnis
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:20:34 pm

Thanks Steve, I also have an AX2000 that shoots AVCHD. And it plays fine.

Yes, the footage plays the same in my media player also. I guess my real question is will the finished DVD from DVDA look this way or is this just a preview/playback issue?

Mac

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:52:22 pm

AX2000..Nice.
Wish i could afford an extra additional Cam right now....lol

If you rendered out a portion and it had flaws, then the
finished DVD will also have those flaws.
Restart your computer and recapture your HD footages and see.

Forgot to ask you if the playback in the camera from the tape
itself looked ok?

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index

Mac McGinnis
on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:23:03 pm

When playing back in SD it's fine, in HDV I see the problem. I'll restart my PC tonite and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Mac McGinnis
on Mar 11, 2012 at 4:56:48 pm

Steve, I restarted my PC, recaptured, and still have the same problem. It plays back on tape in my camera fine. I see the problem as I'm capturing. Lag, audio drop, etc. But when I down convert from my camera and capture it plays fine.

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Mar 10, 2012 at 1:38:35 am

Mac

I have an FX1 as well and have no issues with editing m2t files. They should edit like butter. You say you are using SVP10, but which version? It goes from 10a to 10e. If possible, you should be running 10e.

Pixelation is sometimes caused by dropped frames. Did you notice any during the capture process? Dropped frames can mean two things: you got a bad tape or your FX1 may be in need of a service. Given that the FX1 was released in 2005, it is possible you have dirty heads.

When you say you captured in SD, do you mean DV? Did you down convert in the camera from HDV to DV?

Steve asked whether the footage played back in the camera ok, but you did not answer his question. If the footage is corrupt playing back in the camera, there may be little you can do.

The FX1's firewire board is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations and I have heard of many an owner who has blown the on-board firewire circuitry when plugging the camera in to do a capture. You board could be on its way out, and is corrupting your captures. A DV line protector is a must with this camera.

When your tape transport mechanism dies (and it will any day now), consider getting a tapeless firewire capture device such as a DataVideo recorder. My Z1P and HC3 tranports have both died and the DataVideo recorder extends the life of what are still very good cameras optically and feature-wise.

btw, pity Sony's VG-10 and VG-20 are so crippled feature-wise.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 10e (x32/x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Mac McGinnis
on Mar 11, 2012 at 5:13:16 pm

Nigel,

Thanks for responding. I just saw your post.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what version I'm running. How can I tell?

While capturing I see the issue, but just playing back on the camera it does fine. Although, I bought the camera used and it probably wouldn't hurt to get it serviced.

Yes, I down converted from HDV to DV via the camera. Again, that footage plays back fine and seems to edit fine.

I've since purchased an HVR-DR60 tapeless capture to use with this camera but haven't taken it out of the box yet. My next major shoot I will use it for sure.

If I ever plan on making a BluRay DVD I need to correct this issue.

My specs: I7-930, 8MB LzCache 2.8 GHZ memory, 9GB Trichannel DDR3 SDRAM@1333 MHZ - 6DIMMS, ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB, HD = 1.5TB - 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB 1.56 MB cache

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Mar 11, 2012 at 8:46:35 pm

When Vegas starts, look at the splash screen. The version information appears on that. You can also check by going to Help, About Sony Vegas Pro.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 10e (x32/x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Mac McGinnis
on Mar 11, 2012 at 8:53:52 pm

10e Build 738

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Mar 12, 2012 at 11:59:49 am

Recording and capturing HDV should not be a problem in Vegas. As I said earlier, it should edit like butter. I am perplexed that you are experiencing audio and video artifacts only in HDV, but not DV.

As an aside, I got the Datavideo DN60 from B&H Photo. Even with International postage, it cost me around USD$500. I managed to get a used unit from B&H that as far as I can tell, is new apart from the packaging.

You might want to try using the video capture utility outside of Vegas called vidcap60.exe instead of running it from within Vegas. It is located in C:Program Files (x86)SonyVegas Pro 10.0

Some Sony tips:

Known Issues

To prevent dropped frames, do not use your computer for any other process while capturing or printing to tape.
Capturing to the same hard drive where your operating system is installed can result in dropped frames. If you have more than one drive, you can specify the target drive on the Disk Management tab of the Preferences dialog.
To prevent dropped frames, defragment the drive to which you will be capturing video.
You may want to temporarily disable your anti-virus software during capture. Don't forget to re-enable it.
Not all analog capture cards are supported at this time. If you're using an analog card, please obtain the latest WDM (Windows Driver Model) or VFW (Video for Windows) drivers from your hardware manufacturer.
If you experience audio and video synchronization problems when previewing from an analog device, choose Preview Audio from the Options menu to turn off audio preview. Use the Windows mixer to control the volume of the input to which your capture card's audio output is connected.
If you experience degraded system performance, clear the Enable still image capture check box on the Capture tab of the Preferences dialog.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]