MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

How to Cut then Play AVCHD in Picasa or Windows Media Player

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
How to Cut then Play AVCHD in Picasa or Windows Media Player
on Jan 18, 2012 at 4:34:11 pm

For my home movies I shoot with a small Panasonic HDC-TM700 camcorder that shoots AVCHD. Quickly and easily I want to be able to load the AVCHD files to my PC at home, cut the chafe and be able to play them using either Picasa or Windows Media Player.

I’ve got a good PC that can handle a lot of media with the i7-2600 processor, Windows 7 64bit, 16GB RAM and a decent graphics card.

I downloaded a trial version of Vegas 11 and was able to load and cut the material, but the only file that it allowed me to render to, that Picasa recognizes, is AVI. I rendered a test edit of five minutes of home movies (with no effects whatsoever, just straight cuts) to AVI, and it created a 14GB file! I tried playing it on Picasa and it froze. I tried playing it on Windows Media Player and it played but not smoothly, it skips like its having trouble playing, and the movement has bad pixelation.

The files that Picasa will play are AVI, MPG, ASF, WMV & MOV.

After cutting my AVCHD footage, is there a way for me to end up with something that can play clean in Picasa or Media Player? Tx

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: How to Cut then Play AVCHD in Picasa or Windows Media Player
on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:20:29 pm

[Thomas Hughes] " I rendered a test edit of five minutes of home movies (with no effects whatsoever, just straight cuts) to AVI, and it created a 14GB file!"

That's because you used the "uncompressed" template.
Try a different one (DV-AVI, widescreen if you want) and watch your file size will shrink (a lot!!) not to mention playing back a lot smoother.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]