MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Computer shuts down during render process.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raphael Britto
Computer shuts down during render process.
on Jul 5, 2011 at 7:56:45 pm

The title basically explains it all.

I am trying to render a 5 minutes video with 15Mbps bitrate and h264 codec

I used to do this constantly and nicely until yesterday, but when I tried to do it today my computer started to shut down.

Foxconn W61PMV
Phenom I X4 9650 BE
4GB DDR2
Onboard GPU [Nvidia 6150se]
500W PSU [85% eff]

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Computer shuts down during render process.
on Jul 5, 2011 at 8:47:48 pm

Usually this happens from overheating. Open your computer case and point a window fan at it during your render and see if it stays up. If it does, you have a heating issue. You can also use a utility like CPU-Z to measure the temps on your processors and see if they are getting critically hot. Computers and designed to shut down before they melt down.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Lenczycki
on Jul 5, 2011 at 9:16:34 pm

What John says is the exact problem I had (caused by overzealous cleaning of the inside of PC case - I loosened one of the 4 hold-downs that keep the CPU heat sink tight against the top of the CPU). Removed CPU heat sink & fan, cleaned heat sink and top of processor, applied more thermal paste, reinstalled heat sink/fan assy and haven't had a problem since.

Andrew Lenczycki

Return to posts index

Walt Kerr
on Jul 5, 2011 at 9:24:55 pm

Check your fans to make sure they are all working. Likely suspect is the fan embedded in your power supply case. Is it turning up to speed when you are rendering (put your hand behind the case and make sure air is moving). Another sign is a hot electronic smell coming from your pc.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jul 5, 2011 at 9:37:22 pm

Computer Shutdown is almost always a heating issue. Find the program CoreTemp and watch the temps of the processor cores during a "render as". Your processor is rated "Maximum operating temperature 55 - 70 (°C). I get nervous when mine goes over 45°C.

Also, a 500W supply may be marginal for your hardware. If it is the PSU that came with your PC, it was already "just enough" as shipped. If you added any hardware since then, this could be your problem.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

mike calla
on Jul 6, 2011 at 1:51:06 am

Yep, "boxed" intel CPUs that come with fans have notoriously little thermal paste. I always add more, and same goes for the power.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:01:52 am

Too much thermal paste can be even worse. Te idea is that te surface of the heat sink and the CPU aren't flat. Under a microscope they look like a sponge. (Some die-hard overclockers lap the surfaces to a shiny polish). The thermal compound is only supposed to fill in the surface imperfections, but still allow maximum metal-to-metal contact. Too much paste will separate the metal-to-metal contact and act as an insulator.

follow the instructions that comes with the processor or heat sink.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:12:06 am

Raphael

When you say your computer started to shutdown, is the shutdown graceful (takes the usual amount of time but you cannot stop it) or very sudden (less than 1 second)? Or is the shutdown preceded by a flash of a blue screen and then the PC restarts?

In the first instance, you could have picked up a virus, especially if you access the Internet from this computer.

The second issue describes a CPU overheating problem described elsewhere in this post.

The third describes a system crash, possibly caused by your video driver.

As a general comment, Foxconn don't always make the best motherboards in terms of stability. They are great for gaming, but not always up to the task of video editing. You should consider Asus or Gigabyte motherboards in future.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 10 (x32/x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]