MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

rendering dv-avi for blu-ray

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryosuke Asuka
rendering dv-avi for blu-ray
on May 28, 2011 at 8:45:20 pm

I've got some DV AVI files I captured from my dv cam, and I'd like to put these on blu-ray so I can keep the high quality and bitrate (not because I expect the resolution to be higher or anything like that). I'd like it to be able to play on any regular blu-ray player. The AVI files have a bitrate of roughly 30mbps I believe.

After I imported everything in sony vegas, I rendered the video and audio seperately. I chose the "sony avc" type, chose a blu-ray template (Blu-ray 1920x1080-60p, 16 Mbps I believe), and then used the customize button to make changes to fit my file. The changes I made were to change the frame size to 720x480, raise the bitrate to 20Mbps and that was it (the framrate was already NTSC)

The questions I have are
1) The resulting file was of decent quality, but the motion looked very jittery compared to the source file were it is extremely smooth. Is there something obvious that I did wrong to produce that?
2)I thought the max bitrate for blu-ray was around 40mbps or something? I learned recently with dvd that although the max is 9.9mbps, 8 is the highst 'safe' bitrate for most players. So I know I may not be able to hit max, but 50% of max seems fairly low as a limit. Why can't I set something higher than that?

Some other info that may be relevant- my project template is NTSC DV Widescreen (720x480), full-resolution rendering quality is set to "best", motion blur is Gaussian, and deinterlace method is Bland Fields"

I also have "adjust source media to better match..." checked.

Return to posts index

Ryosuke Asuka
Re: rendering dv-avi for blu-ray
on May 30, 2011 at 6:06:12 pm

So I got some answers in another forum; some people suggested that the blu-ray template might have set the upper field first, and dv is lower field. Someone also suggested that I not have vegas deinterlace it because it's not good at that. I tried those suggestions and the file I got was smooth, but after taking about 6 hours to render and clearly seeing it render the whole video, my output file stops after about 20 minutes! I tried it twice- the second time was a little longer but still it was only a fraction of the video.

The output file is about 20GB which is about the size it would be if it had all the video. Not sure what's going on here.

The first time I tried, I believe I did main concept avc so I could set the bitrate closer to that of the dv avi file, about 30mbps. The second time I chose sony avc again and set it to 20mbps. The file plays fine in various media players, I also noticed when I tried to import it into vegas to check it out, vegas couldn't open the file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]