MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

An Error Occurred while creating the media file (Name of file) The reason for the error could not be determined

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel O'Neill
An Error Occurred while creating the media file (Name of file) The reason for the error could not be determined
on Nov 8, 2010 at 1:08:36 pm

The task is simple: take a 70 minute m2t file and cut it down to 50 minutes. The input file is 1080/50i and the project template is the default HDV 1080/50i template (PAL). The output template I am rendering as is mainconcept mpeg2, HDV 1080/50i. I am trying to give another editor a shortened version of the file.

I then choose best under video rendering quality and check 'include audio stream'. I then select VBR and two-pass and then start the render. It gets to about 50% and then up pops the error. This happens in Vegas Pro 10 x32 and x64 bit versions. If I remove the tick against two pass, the render completes without incident.

I have generally had no luck with two-pass renders. They either don't complete, or when they do, the video is just a solid green screen when played back.

I could just recapture a shorter version and give that to him, but that would be too easy ;-)

Is there anyway to get more detailed information about the error beyond the cryptic "An Error Occurred while creating the media file (Name of file) The reason for the error could not be determined"?

Intel i920, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 9 (X64), Vista x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S 4.1

Return to posts index

Brett Nolan
Re: An Error Occurred while creating the media file (Name of file) The reason for the error could not be determined
on Nov 14, 2010 at 2:42:50 am

Drive Space?

B.Nolan
http://www.awenmediadesign.com

Return to posts index

Daniel DeCarli
Re: An Error Occurred while creating the media file (Name of file) The reason for the error could not be determined
on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:37:32 pm

Hum... Thats funny because I am having the same problem. But I can render it at 1080p but not at 720p. Does anybody have an answer for that? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Antonio Gallardo
on Jan 10, 2012 at 6:59:32 pm

Exactly the same problem, can do it at 1080p but no 720p.
Anybody found a solution?

Return to posts index

Daniel DeCarli
on Jan 11, 2012 at 12:49:13 am

I actually solved my problem but don't remember how. Anyways, the answer for that could be many things. Try some of these:
1- Make sure when you render not to have the same name of a previously rendered video on the folder you are rendering to(sometimes the replace option is not available and it just shows the problem).
2-On render settings try to mark the option that says "Render Using CPU only" on 'encode mode' instead of "Automatically". (found this one on Youtube:

3.[you already did this one] Make sure on "Properties" you have the same frame rate as your original video file. How? There are 3 icons on the top right(after your template name). The 3rd is called "Match Media Settings". Select any of your footages on your computer so that Vegas can 'match'.
4. Don't forget also to have the same settings from your Project Properties on your rendering settings. Don't forget the audio also on project properties and render settings.
5. Update Sony Vegas. Check for the lastest update.
If anything else works, try rendering on WMV. But I think the problem is probably on your render settings. Try to fool around with it a bit at the same time saving your templates. I hope this helped.

Return to posts index

Chuck Thomas
on Jan 16, 2012 at 4:04:43 am

I got the same error. I managed to solve the problem after some trial-and-error. Here is what I did...(By the way, I am using Vegas Pro 11)

1. I clicked "render as" in the File menu and decided that MPEG-2 was a pretty good default format so I then selected the "MainConcept MPEG-2" preset.
2. After looking at all the "sub" presets (I guess they are just the variants of MPEG-2) I decided I wanted to use "DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen video stream". This is because I knew I would be using DVD Architect, because I knew I wanted NTSC (a basic TV standard), and because I knew I wanted my video to be in widescreen.
3. Now here is where I think I did the wrong thing...I then decided to "Customize Template" (because I am particular about my videos).
4. The default resolution (with the above preset) was 720 480, but I wanted to use 1280 720 (an HD res which by definition is not NTSC), so I modified that part of the preset to be 1280 720.
5. Immediately after I started the render I got this message: "An error occurred while creating the media file (nameoffile). The reason for the error could not be determined."
6. When I changed the resolution back to 720 480, the render worked as normal.
7. In order to get a video file in 1280 720 I used a preset that was not NTSC, but rather one that was for rendering HD: MainConcept MPEG-2 HDV 720-30p.
8. I ended up using "MainConcept MPEG-2 DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen video stream" for standard definition video (probably to go on a DVD) and "MainConcept MPEG-2 HDV 720-30p" for HD video.

My theory about why the error happens is that Vegas doesn't like you to modify presets to a HIGHER resolution than the default resolution in the preset. So basically, if you want to do standard definition video, use the appropriate preset. Likewise for HD.

That is my theory based on my experience with the error. I hope it proves helpful to someone. And BTW, those who posted above helped me get to my conclusion.

Return to posts index

Daniel DeCarli
on Jan 17, 2012 at 10:32:52 pm

Wow you got Pro 11 already? Cool! I'm not getting to the Pro version yet. I use Movie Studio Platinum HD 11 Suite.
Well the guy on the top already said he was rendering on the same template of his original video when he said: "The input file is 1080/50i and the project template is the default HDV 1080/50i template (PAL). The output template I am rendering as is mainconcept mpeg2, HDV 1080/50i."
But that's a good point you made. I do the same stuff you do to solve a problem in Vegas and it's always good to share our conclusions. Thanks for sharing it.

Return to posts index

Samuel White
on Mar 11, 2012 at 1:33:00 am

I just tried step #2 of Daniel DeCarli's suggestion and it worked. I downloaded a trial version of Vegas Pro 11 and finally got around to trying to render something. No matter what output format I chose I got the same dreaded message in this post.

Problem now solved...thanks!

Sam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]