MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Graphics Rendering with Jagged Edges?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pete Bartusek
Graphics Rendering with Jagged Edges?
on Apr 7, 2010 at 12:43:42 am

Hi,

I'm having a bit a challenge here with the last step in a video I just put together in vegas 9.

I have a photoshop graphic (PSD format) that i brought into my video and it looks jagged in the preview screen...but when I click on "Video Preview on External Monitor" and watch it full screen in Best/Full playback mode, it looks nice and smooth.

When I render it in bluray, it looks great - nice and smooth...but when I render it in MPEG2 (DVD Architect NTSC video stream) or AVI it ends up looking like a jagged mess again. Not a little bit bad like i'm being picky sort of bad, but REAL bad. Any idea what I may be doing wrong? Is there something I need to tweak on the rendering for this, perhaps within the custom settings? The rest of the video looks great...I even have SVPro generated text underneath that looks smooth...it's just the graphic that seems to be having problems...

Any help is appreciated!
Pete

Return to posts index

Peter Doris
Re: Graphics Rendering with Jagged Edges?
on Apr 7, 2010 at 12:13:04 pm

Hi Pete,

Its a field order issue.
Coming from PAL land myself I always make sure my project is upper field first in HDV editing.
But you should try as much as possible to edit in the native format the source material is in.
Seems like your BlueRay encode works because it is deinterlacing everthing by default.
The PSD is obviously not interlaced or video source so thats whats giving you the issue.
There are clear advantages to keeping things interlaced if thats what source you have in terms of quality.
However as far as a resolution to your situation goes, personally I would render the graphic with the correct field order out of After Effects and recomposite, but I'm aware you might not have that option.

Best of luck

P

http://www.nexusdigitalmedia.tv

Return to posts index

Pete Bartusek
on Apr 7, 2010 at 2:22:50 pm

I tried exporting some files as interlaced and it didn't seem to make a difference...

What I ended up doing was testing some rendering options...and I seemed to fix my problem when I went to Render As, selected 'custom' on the rendering option screen, selected the Project tab, and changing the video rendering quality to Best (previously it was Use Project Settings). Not sure how I would get around this...or is this just a normal option that should be set to 'Best' for final rendering?

I tried changing the field order from Lower Field first to none - progressive scan, thinking that may be inolved...but that didn't seem to do anything to the particular graphic output...

Pete

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 7, 2010 at 3:00:42 pm

What is the resolution of the graphic? If it is too big, this may cause problems. Vegas is not a photo editor. You would do much better if you resized the graphics to DVD quality in Photoshop where it will smooth the edges nicely and then use that lower resolution graphics for your DVD version.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Peter Doris
on Apr 7, 2010 at 3:58:49 pm

Hey Pete,

Unless it is progressive scan, I'd avoid rendering in that mode from Vegas itself.
And John is correct on the size front, obviously that might be a problem for you too if you are doing anything flashy with the graphic.
Personally I alway render at best quality, even for web based jobs, best to render out from the NLE high and then down sample later IMHO.
Another wee tip for the record is VirtualDub which has some great resizing as well as deinterlacing options, plus its free.
Vegas pre version 9 can frameserve directly to it using the free debugmode frameserver which is great for keeping the highest quality whilst converting mixed field media to a progressive stream if thats the way you wanna go it.
Unfortunatly I don't think there is a working plugin for ver 9 yet.

Best of luck

Pete

http://www.nexusdigitalmedia.tv

Return to posts index

Ken Mitchell
on Apr 9, 2010 at 4:11:41 pm

I used this setting when I downsized a movie from hd interlaced to ntsc interlaced... it fixed the issue..Open project video properties (alt+ent) set motion blur to Gaussian and Deinterlace method to blend fields.. this appears to apply adaptive interlacing to your output. (just the parts that are edgy) ... you can now re trancode your output and it should smooth out only the jagged edges... Ken

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]