MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Capture AVCHD vs Import

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Stone
Capture AVCHD vs Import
on Nov 16, 2009 at 4:27:10 pm

Hi. I have been using Vegas Pro 8.0c with my Canon HV20 HDV camera and loving it. I shoot mainly Chroma Key work for the web. I like to capture directly from my camcorder to my PC so I can instantly show my clients what they look like on camera. It helps them change what they don't like, Almost real time. To do this I have been using the Vegas Capture function with the HDV setting.

I am now getting the new Canon HF S10 AVCHD camcorder and want to do the same thing but I don't see an AVCHD option in the Capture settings anywhere. I only see an import option for AVCHD & that would take much more time and not make it feasible to show my clients what they just looked like so they could make changes if needed.

I hope that made sense. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Return to posts index

Rob Franks
Re: Capture AVCHD vs Import
on Nov 17, 2009 at 1:08:22 am

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here?

Capturing from tape works in real time while importing from an avchd cam is FASTER than real time.

An avchd cam for all intents and purposes is looked as as another hard drive by windows. In other words transferring your video is about as fast as copying a file from one hard drive to another. In fact what most people LOVE about avchd cams is that importing is MUCH faster than capturing a tape (or a portion of).

You can even drag the file directly from the cam's HDD (or card) right into vegas. I can drag an entire hour of video from my avchd cam into vegas in about 10 minutes. Can't do that with hdv.

Return to posts index

Steve Stone
on Nov 17, 2009 at 2:17:10 am

Hi Rob. Sorry for not being clear.

Currently when I use my HDV camcorder & use the Vegas Capture function, the video goes directly to my PC Hard drive in the location I set up. I bypass using tapes as a middle storage. I use a direct firewire cable to my PC from the cameras output. The Capture function then makes it easy to put right up onto the time line to display quickly.

I don't see an option to do this for AVCHD. You have an option to import but that's it. The import options require a middle step of storing the video onto the camcorders card or Hard Drive 1st then importing over.

Why isn't there an option to Capture AVCHD just like HDV or SD etc?

Return to posts index

Rob Franks
on Nov 17, 2009 at 3:37:46 am

Okay... I got ya'. You're capturing direct through firewire.

No. Avchd cams do not have a firewire port as they are not needed. You can still capture direct (with some of the avchd cams) but it involves the use of something like the Black magic intensity card which will connect to your HDMI port.... lots of extra money though..... more money than it's worth (IMO).

I'm still however not quite sure what your concern is. If you have the usb cable connected and ready to go then it will only take an extra 15 to 30 seconds to import onto the time line. I don't think I've ever heard of a client walking out because of a 30 second delay.

Return to posts index

Steve Stone
on Nov 18, 2009 at 3:58:05 pm

Thanks Rob. I understand what you are saying & agree it's probably not worth the extra money for the Black Magic card.

Another nice feature of the capture option was that it let you control the camera from inside Vegas (Start, Stop, Pause etc).

Oh well, I will deal with it. We are creatures of habit. Thanks for your feedback & support.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]