MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

subclips freaks me out

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Or Tal
subclips freaks me out
on Oct 10, 2009 at 5:51:19 pm

Hi everybody !

I am a VEGAS long time user

when I edit, I trim the source material to subclips first

but when I start editing on the TL, I need to expand the subclips for transition etc.

but VEGAS loops the expanded subclips or freezes them

sombody have the same annoying situation?

I know I can open the parrent media in the trimmer and all that but is there no better short way ????

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: subclips freaks me out
on Oct 10, 2009 at 8:09:49 pm

when I edit, I trim the source material to subclips first

Sure, that's one way.

but when I start editing on the TL, I need to expand the subclips for transition etc.

You can't expand a subclip.

but VEGAS loops the expanded subclips or freezes them

Vegas is doing exactly what it is supposed to do when using subclips

sombody have the same annoying situation?

If you are implying that this is an error in Vegas, then no, this is NOT an error. This is exactly what Subclips were designed to do, they are precise time duration "subclips" of the original Media Event, ensuring we have a defined length taken from within an existing Event.

Now, what I am hearing is that you now wish to convert this Subclip back to be part of the existing Event so that you can extend the IN or OUT so you can do a transition? Is that it? I should add this: Right click on on the Subclip and select "Open Parent Media in Trimmer". This will give you the Subclip's reference within the original Event/Clip for you to then extend. I wonder if there is a Keystroke for this?

Also, try Regions as well as Subclips. A Region you CAN expand without needing to go via the Trimmer.

Grazie

Return to posts index

Or Tal
on Oct 10, 2009 at 10:04:56 pm

thanks Grazie

I know for sure it's not an error

It's just not enough flexible workflow for me

sometimes after the initial editing some tweaking need to be done with subclips, and it's just annoying

It's not clear to me why subclips can't be flexible to drag beyond there original in & outs in VEGAS

"should add this: Right click on on the Subclip and select "Open Parent Media in Trimmer". This will give you the Subclip's reference within the original Event/Clip for you to then extend. I wonder if there is a Keystroke for this? "

for me it is! because tweaking is a sensitive job, sometimes events have complex FX, position, splits, slow motion, and all this give a headack apllying it upon a new event (yes, I know how to copy/paste event attributes)

" Also, try Regions as well as Subclips. A Region you CAN expand without needing to go via the Trimmer. "

but to find regions that your looking for inside 60 min clip is hell compared to sub clips browsing...

don't you agree ?

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Oct 11, 2009 at 3:39:20 am

I simply don't use subclips. It has been years since I've been in the trimmer. There are many other ways to work. You can roll up the end points. You can insert markers rather than cutting in the trimmer. Then select the subsection and drop it on the timeline. You can also split a file on the timeline with generous margins, and roll up the endpoints. There are many ways if you use a little imagination.

BTW, the reason I no longer use the trimmer is that my audio is rarely within a video file. I record my audio on an M-Audio field recorder, and synch it with the video in Vegas.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 11, 2009 at 9:24:56 am

I can't see Jay how you can extend a Subclip? Once it is set you need to go back VIA its Parent Event to adjust. As I said, the purpose of a Subclip is to make a discreet time-set length to an Event, in the form of a Subclip.

OK, giving this some further thought:

1] Right Click SubClipA on the timeline & Open Parent . . . .

2] In Trimmer extend IN or OUT or both and save as another Subclip to SubCLipA say SubClipB and right drag from Project Media directly onto SubCLipA which was on the timeline and select "As Take".

This has the effect of making a TAKE, or alternative version to original SubCLipA, and NOW you can extend the IN or OUT and keeps with it all the FXs and stuff you applied in SubClipA

Personally I reserve SubCLips option to non-editing workflow. Meaning if I want a SET length to play with: Reverse; Non Loop; Speed Ramps . . etc . . Rather I use the WHOLE Event on the Timleine for making real edits and the Trimmer for making "Scrub n See" selections. Yeah?

BTW you can identify Regions in Explorer and Edit Detail View.

Grazie

Return to posts index

Roger Matthews
on Oct 11, 2009 at 5:39:51 pm

Good topic - food for thought.

I use subclips extensively, and simply add AT LEAST five seconds at the beginning and end of each clip, so I can avoid the process of opening the parent clip.

However, other methods in this thread do sound interesting, and make me wonder if there are more efficient ways for me to work.

The main appeal of using subclips to me is that I can name them and organize them in my media bins. Is there a way to do this using other methods? (ie I've seen people recommend using regions, etc) The "Alternate Take" method with subclips sounds very promising too.

PS - I'm also debating other methods because, as you can see in my topic posted earlier, subclips don't seem to transfer well between projects? Wondering how seriously they were intended to be used.

Return to posts index

Or Tal
on Oct 12, 2009 at 10:38:33 am

Hi Roger

Yeah it seems that our workflow is quite similar

for complex project, I prefer also to name The subclips
It's a great way of remembering them and browse them later

Please guys if someone here have a legal software would you send SONY a request of being able to expand subclips in future versions ?

roger what do mean subclips won't transfer well between projects? I never had any problem like that ....

Or Tal

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Oct 12, 2009 at 1:25:10 pm

[Or Tal] "Please guys if someone here have a legal software would you send SONY a request of being able to expand subclips in future versions ?"

Are you saying that you're using a version that isn't legal?
I hope not as software pirates are not looked on too kindly around here.

Return to posts index

Or Tal
on Oct 12, 2009 at 2:23:14 pm

Yeah please don't judge me at the moment, I am defenetly going to upgrade my software legaly in a short time. I own an older version of vegas, though, but lost the seriel

Or Tal

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Oct 12, 2009 at 11:04:50 pm

[Or Tal] "I own an older version of vegas, though, but lost the seriel"

If it was ever registered with Sony (or their predecessor Sonic Foundry), that information is available online by going to http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/ - My Account - My Software.
I know because the serial numbers for every product I've ever purchased are up there.

You can also contact Sony Customer Service at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/support/contactus.asp

Return to posts index

Or Tal
on Oct 13, 2009 at 12:15:55 pm

BANG !

I did what you say, and although my e-mail address and password were so old, I did succseed !!!

That's great thanks a lot, it's even cheaper now to upgrade!

Or Tal

Return to posts index

Roger Matthews
on Oct 12, 2009 at 6:47:19 pm

"roger what do mean subclips won't transfer well between projects? I never had any problem like that .... "

Open two instances of Vegas. Try dragging a bin of subclips from one project to another (the destination doesn't matter - a new blank project, a complex one, etc). At least for me, when dragging between projects all of the subclips get renamed to something primitive like 'tape name - subclip 1'.

I've looked online and this seems to be a known issue in Vegas since version 6 or so (whenever subclips were introduced?). I've seen scripts that can accomodate other subclip problems (ie batch rendering I think), but nothing for transferring between projects.

Greatly appreciated if anyone has any insight into this. It's obnoxious enough to make me reconsider Vegas as something that can do what I need (assuming I'm right about all of this).

Roger

Return to posts index

Or Tal
on Oct 12, 2009 at 8:27:37 pm

OMG you are right !!!

I never had the chance to exchange subclips with name tags

The are actually lose their name on the new project.

This is a bug. and we need to report SONY about that.

Also lets mention the need to expand clips timings without the parent media!!!!!

In the meantime, at least it is possible to transfer subclips between projects!! at least that's something, leave the names...

I can't figure out why Sony seems to neglect the most improtent of all. This is a video editing program for god sake. The cutting, trimmer & subclips should be thought and counted as the best of the best...

too bad It's really not that comfortable to work with in my opinion.
at all not very friendly and clear...

Or Tal

Return to posts index

Or Tal
on Oct 12, 2009 at 10:29:21 am

thanks Grazie! I didn't know at all about the right click drugging subclip upon another.

I tried it, but I didn't like the fact the my original timings where moved and I had to find again the "hot spot" of my original editing.

also, I could'nt figure out how to browse rigions via explorer/edit details. could you clarify ?

that's great thanks

Or Tal

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]