MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

How to add timecode

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diane Sosnoski
How to add timecode
on May 23, 2009 at 2:35:08 am

Hi,
I need to give my client a DVD of raw footage with timecode displayed. How do I do that with Vegas Pro 8.0?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: How to add timecode
on May 23, 2009 at 2:54:14 am

If you mean source timecode, apply the timecode FX to the clip while it's still in Project Media.
Drag it to the timeline and render.
There's also an Add Timecode to All Media script that you can run.
With this script, it doesn't make any difference if the clip is in Project Media or on the timeline as it adds source timecode.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 23, 2009 at 1:33:46 pm

> With this script, it doesn't make any difference if the clip is in Project Media or on the timeline as it adds source timecode.

This is a really important point to understand. If you add the Sony Timecode FX to the media, it will show the media's timecode which you may or may not want to display depending on how many clips you are placing on the timeline and if the timecode is unique and the customer can identify the clips to tell you which timecode from what clip.

If, however, you just want a continuous running timecode that both you and the customer can use as a reference to talk about shots, then you might want to add the timecode to the track or if you have multiple tracks, add it to the Master Video Bus. This will give you continuous timecode regardless of media.

It is important to understand how adding the FX to these different places will produce different output so that you get the desired results.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on May 23, 2009 at 9:31:25 pm

John, if I add the Timecode FX to the clip while it's on the timeline, then yes, it shows it as timeline timecode.
However, if I run the script I mentioned, then it displays the Timecode FX as source TC, not timeline TC.
I just confirmed this on Vegas Pro 8.0 c with a clip I shot for one of my daughters a month ago.
Adding the FX to the clip shows TC at 00:00;00:00 at the beginning of the clip and 00:08:27:19 at the end.
Running the script however shows it starting at 00:06:16:29 and ending at 00:14:44:16.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 24, 2009 at 1:28:35 pm

Yes that's what I was trying to explain (and not very well apparently). ;-) That you will get different timecode depending on where you add the Timecode FX so be sure to use the proper method depending on the outcome that you want.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Diane Sosnoski
on May 24, 2009 at 8:47:15 pm

Thanks so much for the help! I need the source timecode so the scripting method is perfect. My other editing system, Rex RT, is easier to use than Vegas, but it only adds timeline timecode and you can't record it to tape. Vegas is really pretty great in offering all these options.
Thanks again,
Diane

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on May 24, 2009 at 9:51:33 pm

"Vegas is really pretty great in offering all these options."

And that's why we like it so much :-)

Return to posts index

Diane Sosnoski
on May 25, 2009 at 6:19:24 am

I captured Tape 1 (after setting preferences). All the clips are different lengths and the numbering starts with 19. What did I do wrong?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on May 25, 2009 at 7:55:31 am

The capture utility defaults to splitting scenes based on whenever you hit the record button so I'd expect most scenes to be of different lengths.

Before you start capturing, you're given the option to give the tape a name. My guess is that you (accidentally?) entered 19 at this time.
You also have a rename clips option after capturing is done so maybe you did it then?

Return to posts index

Diane Sosnoski
on May 27, 2009 at 5:54:31 pm

Thanks Mike,

Although I've had Vegas for a few years, I've always used Rex to capture. It does so in 4 Gig segments so I was unprepared for all the splitting that occurred when capturing in Vegas. That said, I should have noticed that the splits mirrored my record start times.
The file name problem happened because I recaptured the tape after the first time I saw all those splits and the original files were still in the capture bin. I'm trying to get used to this new way of editing and hopefully won't have to bug you any more.

Thanks again for the quick and helpful response,
Diane

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on May 27, 2009 at 5:58:41 pm

Diane, don't feel the need to apologize.
This forum is here to answer questions that anyone from newbie to seasoned pro might have so feel free to come back any time.
I've been using Vegas since version 1.0 and there are days I feel like an amateur :-)

Return to posts index

Diane Sosnoski
on May 28, 2009 at 1:31:56 am

Thanks Mike,
It's not an intuitive editing system for me, but I appreciate the depth of the Vegas feature set, which I need with this project. It's great to know I've got some backup. Awesome actually!
Best regards,
Diane

Return to posts index

Jay Smith
on Jul 5, 2010 at 7:02:46 am

Hi Folks... I'm a newbie with Vegas. I have a simple project that I need edited and the producer gave me a paper edit which references the timecode off the tape (which I presume is called "source timecode"). In the trimmer window of Vegas how do I view the source timecode of the clip?

thanks bunch.

J

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jul 5, 2010 at 8:05:15 am

In the bottom right of the Trimmer window, you'll see 3 small boxes.
The one on the left (Cursor Position/Selection Start) is the one you want.

Return to posts index

Jay Smith
on Jul 5, 2010 at 8:57:02 pm

Thanks for the reply Mike.

That box you pointed out is not showing me the source timecode. The video footage was captured on a final cut system as a dv file and then imported into vegas. I wonder if vegas cant read the timecode info off the file because it was captured on a different system?

thanks
J

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Feb 23, 2012 at 11:41:01 pm

I've just gone through this source timecode issue in Vegas 9.

Cinepak Radius Codec AVI file starts @ 8:31:18.

Tried many recommended settings from many posts, but all marked and/or reported the timecode starting from 00:00:00:00

Only this worked: going into properties for the clip, unchecking "use timecode in file" and checking "Use custom setting" and manually setting the start point to the actual number.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Feb 24, 2012 at 1:32:49 am

Cinepak Radius codec? My guess is that footage has been re-encoded from the original as that's not a codec that it's common use (at least not by any camera or edit system I've known or used).

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Feb 24, 2012 at 2:55:11 am

Yes, these are off-line intermediates rendered by me to that codec, set up to begin with specific non-zero timecode numbers*, (which premiere reads and displays correctly without tweaks, but Vegas does not.)

(*To match the timecode on other clips which I will substitute for these clips on some versions of this vegas project.)

I found affirmation that the problem might never be sorted out by all the automated settings I found on many sites (all of which I tried to no avail.) It's on a string somewhere - i think this forum - where it's declared that for certain flavours of video Vegas just won't interpret the timecode as beginning at anything but zero no matter what the source timecode says.

Manually entering the start point isn't a horrible work-around this time - luckily I have very few clips. I imagine that manual setting might exist for just this eventuality.

But this could make a complex project involving off-lining - or setting up to substitute clips - very time-consuming and tricky with the wrong codec.

If this is the way it is, one is behooved to test any intended codec for proper interpretation before embarking on that sort of project in Vegas.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Feb 24, 2012 at 3:36:11 am

The way Vegas deals with time code has always left a lot to be desired :(
What I've done in your situation is to render clips out with the time code embedded on screen.
That way, once the off-line edit decisions are made, it's pretty straight-forward to use those numbers with the original footage.

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Feb 24, 2012 at 4:28:35 am

If I understand you, Mike, that extra step would help me place the clips into an off-line version according to my log notes, without having to manually set the Vegas-interpretted in-point. Considered that too, but subsequently subbed-in clips would have to match the offline ones exactly.

Of course substituted clips must have a) the same timecode/content relationship as the off-line edit. But any substituting clips not also matching b) the off-line clips' in-points would require their Vegas-intepreted in-points to be manually set anyway - but not to their actual in-point, but to a number reflecting the difference between their in-point and that of the corresponding off-line clips. Yikes.

If Vegas is interpreting the off-line code correctly via manually-set clip in-point numbers, any subbing corresponding clips with varying in-points would require those in-points to be entered, but right off the timecode readout without the extra math.

Only a) (which is common to all video) is required with Premiere or any other program which uses the source time code reliably; this enables quite a bit of flexibility. Unfortunately the Premiere version I've bought - CS4 - is too unstable to produce on and Adobe tech can't figure it out despite all the usual stripping down and updating etc. This was PPro's last chance in my world, my last experience being the dreaded 1.5. So I'm looking for another alternative. Vegas might not be it but I'm giving the trial version a go.)

Rigidly disciplined timecode-matching hygiene between clip versions would obviate the need for Premiere's flexibility, but flexibilty/forgiveability is a good thing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]