MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Transfer files form sony vegas to Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tanner Roth
Transfer files form sony vegas to Final Cut Pro
on May 10, 2008 at 8:24:20 pm

Does anyone know a way to transfer a project from Vegas 8 to Final Cut Pro 5.14. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Edward Troxel
Re: Transfer files form sony vegas to Final Cut Pro
on May 10, 2008 at 10:18:51 pm

Final Cut cannot open Vegas projects. For simply projects, you might be able to output an EDL from Vegas and import that. You can always just render out to a file and then import the rendered video.

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index

Tanner Roth
on May 10, 2008 at 11:14:52 pm

It is an hour-long documentary project that is half way done. The previous editor was cutting it on Vegas but I’d much rather finish it up on Final Cut or Avid. My first idea was to export quicktimes of all the media, manually enter the original source time code and reel name then export an edl. However this would be a lot of work because of how much footage there is. I’m hoping there is an easer way. I saw you could save the Vegas Project file as an aaf. Then you can import an aaf into FCP using automatic duck. I’m not quite sure if this would work and I don’t especially want to buy Automatic duck to find out it doesn’t. Any knowledge on the subject or an alternative way would be greatly appreciated.

Tanner Roth

Return to posts index

Douglas Spotted Eagle
on May 10, 2008 at 11:45:32 pm

Vegas exports as AAF, and Premiere, Canopus Edius both work well for cuts-only. Last time I tried this with FCP, it didn't work out so well, and it's been a long while since I've played with it. FCP doesn't do AAF like other kids in the sandbox (then again, it doesn't do most things like other kids in the sandbox either.

Douglas Spotted Eagle
VASST

Certified Sony Vegas Trainer
Aerial Camera/Instructor

Return to posts index

Jerry Waters
on May 12, 2008 at 3:09:07 am

AAF from Vegas to Premiere works well. I'd try it to FCP.

JerryW

Return to posts index

Tanner Roth
on May 17, 2008 at 10:46:30 pm

Once you import the aff project file into premiere dose the media link up as well or do you have to recapture?

Tanner

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Jun 13, 2008 at 12:59:34 pm

Jerry,

I was researching Vegas AAF files into PPro and came across your post. I am not having any luck with the AAF export into PPRO and was interested to see that you see it works very well. Here is my workflow that is consistently failing.

Vegas

Edit cuts only XDCam proxies in Vegas 720x480 project.
Conform timeline XDCam proxies to full resolution from the timeline.
Export AAF file from Vegas

Open 720x486 PPro New and completely empty project file
Import AAF file
(File seems to import fine but when I double-click on the sequence file to load the timeline into PPro it crashes immediately every time.)

I have tried just playing the video clips that were imported into PPro using the AAF import but that causes an immediate crash as well.

Am I missing something?

Erik

Return to posts index

Bryce Hoover
on Jun 26, 2008 at 12:44:49 am

would the 720x480 Vegas into 720x486 PPro be causing the crash?
It's only 6 lines, but I've run into problems with Avid where this has been an issue. just a thought.

-bh

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Jun 26, 2008 at 3:58:29 am

Bryce,

Just wanted to let you know that I have tried 720x480 project sizes as well without any change. Are you able to successfully import aaf files from Vegas into PPro?

Erik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]