MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

What to charge for rendering??

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Adrian
What to charge for rendering??
on Apr 2, 2008 at 9:14:08 pm

I've gotten a few video projects now and I am not sure what to charge for the time it takes to render. I'm rendering with macbookpro dual 2.4ghz 4gig ram vegaspro8(of course)with cineform files -source drive and seporate render drive.

What are you guys billing for rendering time?

I want to be fair to my client, and I want them to return -but I do need to pay for my 5 grand worth of gear.

Appreciate your comments!

t.

Return to posts index

Harold Brown
Re: What to charge for rendering??
on Apr 3, 2008 at 1:56:19 am

I always charge $1 for each 3 hours of render if I am editing the project. I make my money on the actual editing and charge for the media I am using (music, motion and still backgrounds, masks, lower thirds, etc.)

Harold

Check out my published DVDs at
http://www.edellismagic.com/Previews.html

Return to posts index

leslie wand
on Apr 3, 2008 at 5:54:52 am

depends on how quick they want it. back to the old paradigm - two out of three; fast, quality, cost.

i generally don't charge if there's no panic, if there is 'needed it yesterday', at least $25 an hour.

i have well trained clients who come to me ready prepared and with a deadline that includes 'free' render time.

Return to posts index

Terry Adrian
on Apr 4, 2008 at 5:35:09 pm

Tks for the feedback guys!

Anyone else feel like jumping in?!

t.

Return to posts index

Wayne Grauel
on Apr 4, 2008 at 8:16:18 pm

i don't charge for rendering either. Clients know I work efficiently and you can render in your sleep.. so to speak..
Or find something else productive to do, like take out the trash and answer email. it all boils down to what you consider a billable hour.

So, you have to justify if you think the wear and tear and the electricity consumed to render a project is worth the trade off in good will and the trust from a client who knows that you're concerned about the bottom line.

Return to posts index

Adam Rose Esq.
on Apr 5, 2008 at 7:52:32 am

time is money......

If my gear is being used to render and avoiding me from editing something else, the time needs to be paid for - after all, you'd pay to use a render farm

At the same time, I don't charge full rate - depends on the job etc. Details.

Return to posts index

Terry Adrian
on Apr 5, 2008 at 10:26:45 pm

Thanks for the post Adam. My logic is similar.

My personal thoughts are to charge a different fee for rendering. My gear is running and working hard while rendering and I feel it fair to be compensated for the time it takes. I can't do anything else on my mac till the render is finished.

I also agree that each project and budget should be handled a bit different if needed.

All your comments are helpful guys!

Anyone Else?!

t.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]