MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Live Recording

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tjglfr1
Live Recording
on Jun 30, 2006 at 1:44:23 pm

I'm using an AT pro24 stereo microphone (mini-plug connector) in my laptop to record a live performance, but im geting very low audio level. I've tried connecting it direct to the computer, thru an M-Audio Audiophile firewire external card and thru a Mackie mixer, and I still get low audio levels with hiss. I olso tried a different mic with xlr connector and get same results. Is there a setting in the laptop that I have to change? I've tried this on a desktop with no problems. I have Vegas 6 and SF 8, computer is a Dell Inspiron 9300

Return to posts index

Gary Kleiner
Re: Live Recording
on Jun 30, 2006 at 2:08:56 pm

Go to Start> Control Panel> Sounds and Audio DevicesAudio>Sound Recording>Volume

However, don't expect great audio using the built-in capabilities of your laptop.

Gary Kleiner

Vegas Training and Tools.com

Learn Vegas and DVD Architect

http://www.VegasTrainingAndTools.com

Return to posts index

tjglfr1
on Jun 30, 2006 at 2:20:11 pm

Hi Gary,
I checked that and the levels are normal. I connecter the mic to the mackie with a mini to 1/4 adaptor and from the mackie to the computer with a 1/4 to mini into the mic input in the computer and i'm getting a lot of noise with the low level, both in Vegas and SF8.
How can I get better than average quality in the laptop?

Return to posts index

Gary Kleiner
on Jun 30, 2006 at 3:01:58 pm

Have you checked the battery in the mic?

For better quality, you need an outboard "box" from M-Audio, MOTU, et al.

Gary Kleiner

Return to posts index

tjglfr1
on Jun 30, 2006 at 3:05:08 pm

The mic is brand new. I have an M-Audio Audiophile Firewire box.Still get low level and noise.

Return to posts index

Gary Kleiner
on Jun 30, 2006 at 3:11:14 pm

Do you need to install the battery? If you did, check or replace it.

Gary Kleiner

Return to posts index

tjglfr1
on Jun 30, 2006 at 3:18:09 pm

OK, I'll check the battery. Any sugestion on the setting for the Audiophile box? There are several choices on record and playback and also s/pdif. I'm not familiar with this. I'm supposed to record a live accoustic concert tomorrow as a favor for a relative and I was given this the AT Pro24 mic to record the event. Somebody suggested a mic pre-amp. Can the pre-amp make a differance? I already tried the Mackie mixer with no improvement.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 30, 2006 at 3:16:20 pm

Based on your tests, my suspicions are that the sound card itself is bad.

Return to posts index

tjglfr1
on Jun 30, 2006 at 3:19:28 pm

Hi Mike,
Do you mean the M-Adio Audiophile or the card in the laptop?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 30, 2006 at 3:30:53 pm

Based on what you've already tried, I'd suspect that the laptop card is bad. Is this the generic Dell soundcard or something else?
If you plug the mic directly into the M-Audio box, do you hear anything from the headphone jack? Be advised that I use the M-Audio Firewire 410 at work and have found that it's output is not as high as I'd like.
As Gary said, did you check the battery? I know you said it's brand new but that's not saying the battery is :-(

Return to posts index

tjglfr1
on Jun 30, 2006 at 3:53:35 pm

I don't hear anything thru the m-audio headphones. The battery came with the mic and was bought yesterday, but I'll have it checked anyway.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jun 30, 2006 at 3:57:15 pm

I don't hear anything thru the m-audio headphones.

OK. Now it looks like it's a mic problem. Dumb question but I have to ask it. Is the battery installed properly?

Return to posts index

tjglfr1
on Jun 30, 2006 at 3:59:59 pm

Yes I know, I double checked. It's installed according with the diagram. Positive side up. Thanks.

Return to posts index

tjglfr1
on Jun 30, 2006 at 4:02:32 pm

I packed everything becouse I have to go to work. But keeep you suggestions coming. I still think that I'll be able to record this thing tomorrow. I have to travel 150 miles to the gig.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]