MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

When will there be a 64 bit version of Vegas?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Burkhimer
When will there be a 64 bit version of Vegas?
on Dec 28, 2005 at 4:22:04 pm

I did a search for this topic and didnt find much. I was just wondering, because Im getting ready to tear down my computer, rebuild it, then install a new copy of windows. I also have four 1 gig sticks of ram lying aroound that i could put to use in the 64 bit windows if i were to upgrade. I am running opteron processors, so Im ready for the OS. Just wondering. Thanks!

-burk

Return to posts index

jeditdv
Re: When will there be a 64 bit version of Vegas?
on Dec 28, 2005 at 4:39:46 pm

Have you managed to find 64bit drivers for all your hardware? (i.e. sound cards, video cards, etc...)

I've heard some people are already running Vegas on 64bit windows. How well... I can't say.

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index

Kevin McCarthy
on Dec 28, 2005 at 7:11:33 pm

Ed
We are running Vegas 6 on a 64bt windows machine and It is rock solid. 'just finished a 4 camera shoot dual layer DVD for a Los Angeles musical group complete with 24bt,96khz broadcast audio wave sound. It has been almost 4 months in the making and Vegas has been flawless! We used the G-tech, G-raid drives and could not ask for anything better.

Return to posts index

FrankBokoski
on Dec 28, 2005 at 8:41:49 pm

Hi Kevin,

I'd sure love to see the specs on the machine you're running. Sounds exciting!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kevin McCarthy
on Dec 28, 2005 at 10:55:16 pm

3Ghz with 600 gig internal drive, 2gig RAM, 7.1 surround sound card, 2X800 gig G-raid external drives straight out of the box custom made from FullCompass out of Middleton, Wis. I've dealt with them for years and they did agreat job for about $2400 excluding the external drives. Input is from a Sony HDV deck

Return to posts index

Jason Burkhimer
on Dec 29, 2005 at 6:05:01 pm

thanks ed and kevin for the input. Interesting stuff, kev. Im glad to hear everything is running smooth because i was a little hesitant about using XP64 in a production environment, but now that Ive cleared most of my external projects, I think Ill try that setup for some of my in-house projects. thanks again guys!

-burk

Return to posts index

Arthur
on Dec 30, 2005 at 2:41:18 pm

Could you tell us what the biggest advantages are of moving to 64 bit at this moment, for a video editing studio? Any specific area/software where performance increases significantly?

Return to posts index

Will_3
on Dec 31, 2005 at 9:11:40 pm

Kevin,

Are you capturing all 4 cams in real time to your PC system?

We hope to set up a 4 to 6 cam real time capture system and have looked a a couple of ways of doing it...

1 - Special live-capture HD like the PyroDV Drive or the FireStoe FS-4
2 - Long Firewire cables to one computer per cam... either PC Laptops, Desktops or possibly Mini Mac's
3 - Multiple Firewire cards in a single computer... 1 card per cam... capturing to one or more disk... disk other than the one running the operating system

How did you do it and how did it work?

thanks for any comments.

Return to posts index

Kevin McCarthy
on Jan 2, 2006 at 10:37:06 pm

We captured each cam seperately in post production. synced them on the timeline with 4 windows in the preview. then synced the audio from a 24bit, 96k broadcast audio wave master that was imported from a CD.
I don't know of any easy way to capture 4 live cams other than using a switcher to a master deck. If you do that you should also run iso tapes in each camera to cover any mistakes made in switching.
I have not seen an application that allows you to capture multiple cameras live. Perhaps someone more knowledgable than I can address that issue

Return to posts index

jeditdv
on Jan 3, 2006 at 2:09:31 am

Scenalyzer Live might be able to do that. I know people have tested capturing two tapes at the same time. Capturing two live cameras shouldn't be any different.

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index

farid
on Jan 4, 2006 at 9:39:08 pm

I've also asked before... Reason for me is that I simply don't see the point in upgrading to a newer version of Vegas anymore, I'm actually stuck with V3 and except color correction that appeared in V4, there is nothing I really would need except more speed.

I would even consider downgrading to Movie Studio if they gave me a partial refund ;-)

Farid

P.S.: I don't think 64 bit drivers are a prerequisite for things such as rendering.

Return to posts index

jeditdv
on Jan 4, 2006 at 9:54:39 pm

[farid] "I'm actually stuck with V3 and except color correction that appeared in V4, there is nothing I really would need except more speed"

If you want more speed, upgrade to the current version and try scripting. The addition of scripts can help speed up your editing tremendously. For an example of that, just go to http://www.jetdv.com/excalibur and look at the sample videos there!

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index

farid
on Jan 4, 2006 at 10:05:42 pm

Actually very nice features, but not for me (I only have one camera !!!).

By speed I meant rendering speed mainly, it's nice to see the final result quickly. I did try V6 and it was not faster at rendering the projects I gave it, despite having much nicer hardware now than when I started off with V3, so I'll just wait...

Return to posts index

jeditdv
on Jan 4, 2006 at 10:26:17 pm

[farid] "Actually very nice features, but not for me (I only have one camera !!!)."

It does a LOT more than just multi-cam for speeding up editing. Event selection alone has sped up my editing. Marker manipulation is wonderful. Photo montage tool to quickly get a base montage. All these little things add up in a hurry!

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index

Terje A. Bergesen
on Jan 5, 2006 at 3:14:21 pm

I am not sure that you will be happy at the end of your wait.

There is nothing inherent in moving from 32 bit computing to 64 bit computing that will make applications faster. In fact, there are some things about 64 bit computing that may make it slower than 32 bit computing.

The main reasons for 64 bit computing would be for, for example, very large memory-mapped files or (for those with millions) access to huge amounts of memory.

--
Terje A. Bergesen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]