MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

ticker type scroll

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Snow
ticker type scroll
on Aug 9, 2005 at 5:53:46 pm

I created some text to scroll across the bottom of a video similar to the news shows...Fox News, etc. I created the text and positioned it using pan and crop and using key frames to make it scroll from right to left. I rendered it to AVI, even used the "best" video setting under options, but the text is "jerky" as it is scrolling by in the rendered clip. Is there a better way of doing this so that the text scrolls across smoothly? I have done credit style rolls from bottom to top and the text scrolls smoothly, but I can't get this ticker type text to be smooth.
TIA

Ted

Return to posts index

jeditdv
Re: ticker type scroll
on Aug 9, 2005 at 6:00:12 pm

First of all, I would scroll it using the "Positioning" tab in the text generated media. Beyond that, have you tried things like Reduce Interlace Flicker?

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index

Ted Snow
on Aug 9, 2005 at 8:45:48 pm

Ed,
Actually I did use the positioning tab and not the pan...but I did not use reduce interlace flicker. Will give that a try. Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Young
on Aug 9, 2005 at 6:37:47 pm

Ted ~

I just use the insert 'text media' tool, on a new track.

On opening enter the 'length', i.e. the duration of your 'ticker' in the dialogue box at the top. Next type in your text ticker or crawl using the normal text 'edit' window in the text tool. As your text line grows past the window limits you will see a drag bar appear at the bottom of the window, just keep on typing. Once you have finished select the 'placement' tab and select 'bottom center', make note of the 'Y' coordinate. Go to the head of the keyframe track and then drag your text line all the way off to the right, check your Y coordinate is the same as the 'bottom centre' one. Next drag your keyframe slider to the far end of the keyframe track. Now grab your text line and slide it all the way off to the left side, check that the Y coordinate is the same as the start keyframe, exit. When you go back to the timeline drag your 'text' graphic to the same duration that you entered in the text 'length' dialogue in the text tool and with luck you should have a 'ticker' that should render smoothly. I find with a little experimentation you will work out a good speed/length ratio that works. Do it frequently and so far so good!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Return to posts index

Chris Young
on Aug 9, 2005 at 6:51:32 pm

Ted ~

Forgot to mention you can also use the 'Ctl' key and drag the graphic longer for a slower speed if you need to fine tune. Just do a test render to make sure it's smooth!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Return to posts index

Ted Snow
on Aug 9, 2005 at 8:44:09 pm

Thanks Ed and Chris...will try your suggestions.

Return to posts index

Unzarjones
on Aug 20, 2005 at 2:05:07 pm

I must be missing something here, I've followed the example and cannot get the text to move across the screen. At the start/end of the clip I can see the letters where the scrolling should start/end but no movement. I have done this before in a past project but can't remember anything that I could have done differently.

Return to posts index

jeditdv
on Aug 20, 2005 at 3:36:18 pm

Make sure you have TWO keyframes: One at the beginning of the scroll and one at the end of the scroll. Set each appropriately.

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index

Unzarjones
on Aug 20, 2005 at 8:30:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. There are two keyframes- beginning and end. I can't seem to get the text line placement to "stick" to each on their respective ends, it's either one or the other. I CAN get it to work if I just animate it the event pan/crop, but not when using the video event FX placement(and then the text won't all fit in one clip). UJ

Return to posts index

jeditdv
on Aug 20, 2005 at 8:57:58 pm

Does the "Length" of the generated media match the actual length on the timeline?

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index

Unzarjones
on Aug 21, 2005 at 6:02:00 am

Yes, I dragged it to the beginning of the timeline and the EventPan/Crop, the generated media and the project timeline show the same length. I set it from three seconds up to ten. The ticker text will stick to one or the other of the key frames. When I set the first one, it's ok, but when I drag the text to the other side to set the second keyframe the first keyframe forgets the placement even though the keyframe marker is still there. Selecting the keyframes themselves moves the cursor to the corresponding side of the event alright, but the text is stuck.

I've checked all the possible settings I can think of and tried various steps in case I was getting things out of order. I'm going to see if I still have the older veg/files with the ticker that worked to see if I can find something different. Don't know if this means anything but I just previously installed Boris FX 8 and changed the preview cache to zero per their instruction, but changed it back again for this.

I was having a blast with editing - now I want to throw myself out the window :)

Return to posts index

Unzarjones
on Aug 21, 2005 at 6:08:57 am

Quick note, I'm not using Boris for this. UJ

Return to posts index

jeditdv
on Aug 21, 2005 at 11:17:25 am

Well the steps are really simple. First of all, add the generated media, make sure it's the correct length and make sure the "Length" field on the generated media screen matches the length on the timeline. After that:

1) Go to the Positioning tab
2) On the first keyframe, change the "Y" position so that it is at the bottom of the screen.
3) Still on the first keyframe, change the "X" position so that the first letter is just off the right edge of the screen.
4) Add a new keyframe at the end of the generated media timeline
5) Change the "X" position on the second keyframe so that the last letter is just off the left edge of the screen.

Play it back and it will scroll from right to left across the screen.

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index

Unzarjones
on Aug 21, 2005 at 3:35:59 pm

Thanks for your time Edward, I'll give it a try later today. Downloaded a few of your newsletters and will study those as well - very nice. Thanks again. UJ

Return to posts index

Unzarjones
on Aug 21, 2005 at 4:16:28 pm

Got it! Bonehead mistake, the keyframe timeline area on the generated media window was minimized to the bottom of the view area and I ended up trying to use the one in the eventpan/crop window instead.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]