MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

The final word on using pictures in Vegas 6?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Matthews
The final word on using pictures in Vegas 6?
on Aug 3, 2005 at 8:32:56 pm

I'm using Build 115 OF Vegas 6 (as far as I know, the latest version) and I'm still having trouble using large images. I have taken the time to convert all of my images to png (which made a big difference), but even still Vegas is crashing at times.

Some of the files are larger (7000 in width), but I am reluctant to convert my images to a lower resolution blindly. I want to be able to keep my freedom to zoom in as much as needed. I am also sick of converting/resizing/organizing and don't want to do any more resizing unless I know exactly what will work.

I saw someone ran some tests here, but I only saw tests for jpg/psd/etc (ie NOT the format that seems to work best with Vegas). No png tests. I can't see anyone agree on a good maximum resolution for Vegas.

Will future versions of Vegas hopefully handle this situation better? Is there hope for me? What's the best way for me to handle my unwieldly large photos without crashing Vegas or giving it a heart attack?

Return to posts index

knight
Re: The final word on using pictures in Vegas 6?
on Aug 3, 2005 at 8:38:40 pm

Is PNG better than JPEG?

Return to posts index

Roger Matthews
on Aug 3, 2005 at 8:52:22 pm

For Vegas, there is no question. I've always been told jpg is better for photos in general (and with good reason), but for some reason Vegas seems to really like png files over other types.

I couldn't even try to load my images without crashing Vegas when they were in jpg. Converting to png hasn't solved all of my problems, but everything works 95% of the time now. I can pan, zoom, crop, etc - you name it. It's still just a little shaky when the resolution gets higher.

Return to posts index

knight
on Aug 3, 2005 at 9:18:19 pm

Interesting. I've always used JPEG and had good results. I've never had Vegas 4 or 6 crash on me. I'll try PNG next time and give it a try. Thanks.

Return to posts index

dirk
by
on Aug 3, 2005 at 9:35:02 pm

Just as an FYI, jpeg is lossy compression. .png is lossless, well in theory anyway. :)
Dirk

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Aug 3, 2005 at 10:32:15 pm

PNG files ALWAYS look better than jpegs.

The compression is completely different.
A jpeg will exhibit artifacts where a PNG
likely never will.

If your pictures are 7k wide that is way too big
even for cropping and panning. You should do
a batch/action in photoshop and get them down
to 2k or 3k in size. That will likely not
cause any issues and allow you to get the job
done without crashing.

Even a robust compositing app like After Effects would
have problems choking down many 7k images.

It's just not practical even with 3Ghz+ cpu's and 4 Gigs
of ram in your system.

(I do a lot of this kind of thing btw and this has been
my experience)

Return to posts index

Roger Matthews
on Aug 3, 2005 at 10:48:41 pm

Thanks! Everything you say makes a lot of sense. 3k sounds like a very good limit.

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Aug 4, 2005 at 7:06:52 am

Hi Vegas users,

I have to throw in my two cents on this topic. I have always used Jpeg images in Vegas 4, 5 & now 6. They worked perfectly with no crashes. I brought them down to size such as 720 x 480. I heard that you can go up to 1440 x 1080 in Jpeg which I never tried. One of these days I'll try PNG and see how the images look. I know PNG is preferred over Jpeg, but it takes a lot of time to convert over.
Thanks for your attention.

Ralph Hajik
Westmont, IL

Return to posts index

Fuddam
on Aug 4, 2005 at 1:23:23 pm

just finished another montage. I used jpegs at 1500 x 1000 res approx, so capable to do some zooming in / panning. About 250 pics. Only hassle I have is that when I click away from Vegas and return to it, have to wait 10 secs or so for Vegas to confirm links to media. I know I can turn that confirmation off.

have never tried a montage with PNG either. Just never thought about it - lol - though always use PNG for any graphics brought into Vegas.

I use nikon Capture to colour correct and batch my NEFS to 100% jpegs, and then batch those again to smaller images, if necessary, using Irfanview, since it's such a fast, light program (Irfanview forever!!!). Pity Capture doesn't offer NEF to PNG, AFAIK.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]