MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

recover auto save files

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Phillips
recover auto save files
on Jul 2, 2020 at 2:21:41 pm

Hi, my Vegas pro 17 just crashed. When I restarted the program it asked me if I wanted to open the auto save file which I did, but every time that attempts to open at the same percentage 37% vegas crashes again and the usual closing down dialogue box appears. I’ve gone into the local store for the auto save files the only one I can see was 25 minutes ago if I click on that that also crashes at the same percentage of opening. The one prior to that is from yesterday ( opening that is fine but I’ve lost eight hours of editing) my understanding is Vegas Auto says every five minutes, is there a way of re-calling up those previous saved files.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: recover auto save files
on Jul 3, 2020 at 12:02:47 pm

Hi Martin

Vegas is definitely not liking something in your project. I can see 3 possibilities; a funky plugin, a blink in your Vegas software or a Microsoft ''special update''. In my experience, I've had to wipe and re-install twice in the last 5 years on account of Windows updates. That being said, if you've failed to open the saved file, by your account a few times, you may be out of luck. Personally, I don't trust the auto-save feature. the auto-save feature in Vegas does not create incremental backups of a project. I've made a habit of saving regularly and every time with the same file name but with a numbered version. For example: File name = Acrobatics_V17, etc.... This way, I can go back to any point in time if for some reason I need to. If you rely only on the auto save feature and there is a problem with that same feature or something related to it, you're up the creek without a paddle. The other problem with auto-save is that by default, it lays on the same drive as your Vegas software.

In my workflow, software is on one drive, original files on another, saved .VEG files yet on another, etc... with a backup on a separate drive for everything. You can tell that I go tired of loosing stuff... It's a extra 30 seconds of work but nothing compared to having an extra ulcer... or a fist size hole in your drywall ! ☺

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb
Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core 4.60GHz
Radeon RX 5700 XT
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1 and a bunch of others
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]