MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

How Do I Get DOUBLE the render speed?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Freddy Rodriguez
How Do I Get DOUBLE the render speed?
on Jun 20, 2020 at 6:03:24 pm
Last Edited By Freddy Rodriguez on Jun 20, 2020 at 6:05:37 pm

I'm usually good at planning a parts upgrade. I don't jump in willy-nilly but this time, well, I guess I was either desperate or I'm starting to lose more neurons than I can keep count of (or both!).

I've been using Sony Vegas Pro 13 with my trusty GeForce GT 640 and loved to see my render times cut nearly in half when I enabled the GPU accelerated render due to Sony Vegas making use of the CUDA thing while I picked AVC mp4 format.

Well, after some years and a client who was pushing me for faster turnaround time I figured I'd do a small upgrade. Sometimes I feel I need to get a second mortgage on the house just to upgrade my entire system and squeez out 5 more precious render minutes.

So while looking at the 'relative performance' chart on TechPowerUp site, I noticed that my GT 640 was half the performance of the equally priced GT 1030.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gt-1030.c2954

My 640 is from 2012 while the 1030 is 2015, I think. Still "old" graphics cards but if TechPowerUp was right, I WAS LEAVING HALF THE POWER on the table.

So I proudly used my Amazon Prime membership to get the "new" GT 1030 delivered to my door faster than I could finish clicking the order button.

After installing it and attempting to run a Vegas render test, I realized my render settings window wasn't showing "GPU available" anymore under the AVC format. I shutdown Vegas, used the GeForce software to hunt for the latest drivers and fired up Vegas one more time.

Nothing.

Starting to lose my mind, I read all the forums like a madman. Apparently, John Rofrano 'The Great' said that GPU-accelerated render only works with GeForce cards that were built on the Fermi architecture... and my GT 1030 ain't one of them.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4656/~/list-of-fermi-se...

So, I need help!

What do I do if I want to speed up my render time, without building an entire new system from scratch?

Does Adobe Premiere make use of my GT 1030? Do I have to jump ship and give Adobe $30/mo for the rest of my life to get faster rendering?

... even if I return the GT 1030 for a refund, my machine isn't any faster.

HELP!!

Return to posts index

John Norton
Re: How Do I Get DOUBLE the render speed?
on Jun 25, 2020 at 11:37:23 am

Hi Freddy, why not download a trial version of VP17 and see if the new card works better, there are very good purchase upgrade offers at the moment on vp17.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]