MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Is Vegas good for me?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Thomas
Is Vegas good for me?
on Jun 7, 2020 at 1:53:27 pm

A quick history then my questions. After trying Adobe I ended up going with Vegas twelve years ago (version 9) for all my post work on two feature films I produced. I LOVED the ease of use but had massive problems, mainly in rendering the finished projects, and vowed never to use Vegas again.

After a long break I'm getting back into filmmaking and will be shooting a feature this September. I invested in the Blackmagic camera platform mainly for the BRAW format they offer. I'm trying to learn Resolve now and just hate it. I think Vega's common sense approach to editing has ruined me to any other programs. ☺

Here's my questions:

Since leaving Vegas at version 10 has it changed for the better or worse? When Magix acquired Vegas a friend told me Vegas would only get worse since the company isn't known for it's professional caliper software. Are they quick to fix bugs for example?

Is Vegas a poor choice specifically for large projects like feature films with the numerous tracks, effects, ect?

Is there plans for Vegas to support Blackmagic BRAW?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Return to posts index

Dimitrios Papadimitriou
Re: Is Vegas good for me?
on Jun 7, 2020 at 3:44:38 pm

So I'm not sure but it looks like pro 17 doesn't support braw yet all though 18 will probably be here in august and that might. Vegas does want to support braw but you never know when certain features will be added

Supported formats

Import

Video: HEVC/H.265, AVC/H.264, MP4, MOV, MPEG-2, MPEG-1, AVI, WMV, XAVC-S, XAVC, XDCAM EX, XDCAM HD, XDCAM HD 422, XDCAM ProDisc, HDCAM SR, MPEG IMX, DV, HDV, AVCHD, Panasonic P2, Red RAW

Audio: AIF, AAC, MP2, MP3, M4A, Ogg Vorbis, WAV, WMA, FLAC

Image: BMP, GIF, PNG, JPG, TIFF, DPX, OpenEXR, WDP, DNG

If you are the solo editor vegas is the way to go. It's excellent timeline and I find it's media management to be excellent

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Jun 7, 2020 at 4:23:39 pm

Do you have experience with working on large projects like two hr. features in Vegas? Is it stable?

Return to posts index

Dimitrios Papadimitriou
on Jun 7, 2020 at 5:10:49 pm

I have template that have probably about 100 files to begin with with sub folders and tagged media. Then I usually dump between 30-60 minutes of footage directly on the timeline. It's stable and I have made 2 hours videos. The thing that causes a crash the most often is if I move something with auto ripple on while the video is playing. If I do that I have about 1/3 chance of a crash. So I try not to do that, but accidents do happen.

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Jun 7, 2020 at 6:51:49 pm

Mind if I ask what system you're using? Are you editing 4k footage or proxies or just HD? I currently have a GTX 1080 (8gb) GPU and 16gb ram. Resolve freezes every 3 minutes when I try to edit 4k braw.

Return to posts index

Dimitrios Papadimitriou
on Jun 7, 2020 at 7:52:08 pm

my system is a little worse than yours. I try to avoid 4k footage if I can, mainly because of how much space it takes up but i can edit 4k as long as I use proxies. I create the proxies and set the viewer setting to preview full and its works fine.

Return to posts index

Christian Wheel
on Jun 9, 2020 at 9:33:10 pm

Vegas is generally pretty stable even on large projects, but I do get lockups from time to time. To be fair, I get the same types of lockups in Adobe Premiere.

I tend to use Premiere for larger projects only because of Dynamic Link to After Effects. The workflow between the Adobe Suite is really something special and despite Magix's progress in this area (Vegas Post, etc) it doesn't feel like one cohesive suite as they basically just licensed software from Fxhome and skinned it a bit differently.

But for quick projects with no motion graphics or crazy effects there is nothing faster and easier than Vegas. Vegas is also lightyears ahead when it comes to audio and I do all my broadcast radio production in Vegas, everything from full radio shows to short segments, commercials, sweepers or promos.

I would honestly feel naked without both suites, Magix and Adobe, in my toolkit.

----- Christian Wheel -----
Radio Host, Los Angeles/San Diego/Nationally Syndicated
Audio Production & Imaging
MS Visual Studio Developer
After Effects Enthusiast

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Jun 10, 2020 at 12:24:46 am

Appreciate the insights Christian!

Return to posts index

Charles Smiley
on Jul 6, 2020 at 3:52:17 pm

I just finished a Vegas 16 historical project that is over 1-1/2 hours long that used all old 16mm color film from about 50 sources mixed with graphics and color slides. So I had to use almost every CC and image enhancement effect in the works -- Plus Neat film de-graining.

It would be stable for long periods at a time and then suddenly go 'white screen'. It's hard to say if the thing that triggered it was any specific category of action on my part.

So frequent clicking on the save button became the norm. Being an escapee from using Premiere since 1997, I am happy overall. But save, save, save. The restoration option, after restarting the program, doesn't always get you success.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]