MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

How do I Repair a corrupt .mp4

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Potter
How do I Repair a corrupt .mp4
on Jan 22, 2020 at 4:34:20 pm

Hello. Yesterday using my action camera the battery fell out. Camera wrote 2 files each about 3gig. 1st file plays fine with VLC.... 2nd file won't play. Any method or programs to fix? Comments appreciated.

Rick from Kansas

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: How do I Repair a corrupt .mp4
on Jan 22, 2020 at 10:10:27 pm

Hi Rick

What make of action camera do you have ? Normally, you should post on the forum related to that specific model but I'll give it a go. Remember that a .MP4 is just a container for a specific file.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb
Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core 4.60GHz
Radeon RX 5700 XT
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Rick Potter
on Jan 22, 2020 at 10:17:58 pm

Thank you. Its a ThiEye. Any help would be great. Thanks, Rick

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jan 23, 2020 at 1:10:59 am

Hi Rick

You should be able to get things rolling with this link. Had a problem way back with a corrupt file on one of my SD cards and manage to fix it. Check out this link, read and then choose the one that suits your needs. Mostly it will come down to the recovery software you're most comfortable with. Don't be afraid to try them out. If at all possible, try to work with a copy of your file, saving the original so as to not accidentally destroy it. Best of luck to you !

https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/best-sd-recovery-software.html

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb
Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core 4.60GHz
Radeon RX 5700 XT
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Shinra Bansho
on Jan 23, 2020 at 11:28:29 am

Hi, if the method Francois suggested above, you could try this:

https://tehnoblog.org/video-repair-guide-corrupted-mp4-avi-h264-file-fix/

Be sure to work on a duplicate of the SD card which holds the original (i.e. the corrupted file) or copy the corrupted file onto your PC's hard disk to start with so that the original file be intact.

In the past, I nearly lost 90GB worth of an MP4 video file on my Sony AX100 which was damaged by power failure (battery problem), and this tool save my life.

Return to posts index

Tony Johns
on Jan 23, 2020 at 5:22:54 pm

I'm afraid, those tools from the article won't help, since they're aimed at recovering deleted files. While the file is actually not deleted, but unplayable.

Return to posts index

Shinra Bansho
on Jan 23, 2020 at 9:22:36 pm

Hi Tony, that's why I suggested the Recover_MP4. This tool "rebuilds" the video (as well as audio) from the damaged file by referencing the original video format (hence requiring a short undamaged footage from the same camera). The whole process thus takes a long time.

Return to posts index

Rick Potter
on Jan 23, 2020 at 9:55:24 pm

Thanks. I'm going to give it a try tonight. Rick

Return to posts index

Tony Johns
on Jan 23, 2020 at 10:30:20 pm

Yep, Recover_MP4 is the right tool for this kind of issues. I've had experience with this tool, it's free but works on Windows only and has no UI (so need to run it via the Command Prompt). Here is a great guide on how to run the tool:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]