MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Measuring RMS in Vegas Pro

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Wright
Measuring RMS in Vegas Pro
on Jan 9, 2020 at 1:25:52 pm

I've got several hours of spoken audio that I'm tampering with, and need all of it to measure between -23dB and -18dB RMS.

I'm monitoring the LRA and True Peaks, and it looks to me like they're roughly falling within that bracket, but obviously due to the inconsistent nature of speech, it does often step outside of that range, if only for a moment.

Is there a way I can monitor RMS directly to see if I'm consistently within that -23dB - -18dB bracket? If not, how would I find out if I am within that bracket?

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: Measuring RMS in Vegas Pro
on Jan 9, 2020 at 4:58:30 pm

Hi Harry

My suggestion is to start by processing your track thru Levelator from The Conversations Network.

It does absolute wonders to audio, especially speech. I've been using it for many years and each time with great results. Plus, it's FREE ! No strings attached.

http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator/

Just make sure that the file you're dropping in Levelator is either in .WAV or .AIFF. You can use the free software Audacity, for example, to prep your file before dropping it in Levelator. There are numerous tutorial on Youtube on how to use Levelator although it is very user friendly.

Levelator will automatically save your file to the same place as your original file with the word ''output'' added to your original file name. Once you have it normalized, it's just a matter of adjusting it to the proper level in Vegas.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb
Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core 4.60GHz
Radeon RX 5700 XT
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jan 9, 2020 at 5:06:16 pm

Hi Harry

Just noticed that Graham B. esquire had replied to your previous post. (for all of you other curious minds, here's the link to the post)

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/1026490

Cheers !

Radeon RX 5700 XT

Return to posts index

Harry Wright
on Jan 9, 2020 at 5:11:50 pm

Hi Francois,

Thank you for your comprehensive response. I've ran the audio through Levelator, and... yeah, seems to sound good. Out of curiosity though, what is it that Levelator is actually doing? Is it fitting the audio into that -23dB and -18dB bracket?

- Harry

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jan 9, 2020 at 5:17:26 pm

Hi Harry

After the download links in the link I sent you, there is an explanation of how it works (somewhat) The only thing I know is that it works beautifully.

Cheers !

Radeon RX 5700 XT

Return to posts index

Harry Wright
on Jan 9, 2020 at 5:20:47 pm

Good stuff Francois, seems like a really useful bit of software. Thanks for the recommendation!

- Harry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]