MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Vegas Pro 17 pixels are stretched when cropped

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabien Ford
Vegas Pro 17 pixels are stretched when cropped
on Jan 8, 2020 at 6:24:41 pm

The problem I am having is a little difficult to explain, mainly because I am not very experienced with video editing/pixels and the terminology.

I have lossless footage of a low resolution/pixelated game (1920 1080). I am trying to crop the video so that a small portion of what was recorded fills the frame, and that works; However the pixels seem to be stretched out at times.

On top of that, I am also trying to place another video of the game over the first video, so that they line up perfectly. Unfortunately I can't get that to work, as one video will be 'stretched' more than the other.
I am not sure if that completely explains the problem, but hopefully the image I attached of Vegas Pro 17 will show you what I mean.

I was wondering if there is a way to use Event Pan/Crop so that when I crop the video, the pixels fit the screen like they normally would, as if it were not cropped.
For example, in the image where there is a red arrow pointing to the left, you can see that the borders of the crop are able to sit in the middle of pixels, as oppose to the borders automatically 'snapping' into place between pixels.

I have tried unchecking 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' on everything, and that doesn't really work. There have been one or two times where I got lucky and both videos looked the same, and fit on top of each other just fine.
I should also add that this problem still occurs when I place two 1920x1080 PNG images on top of each other and crop them.

Is there any way to fix this?

The borders of Pan/Crop do not snap into place between pixels:

In this screenshot of GIMP, you can see what I am trying to accomplish:

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: Vegas Pro 17 pixels are stretched when cropped
on Jan 8, 2020 at 8:25:45 pm

Hi Fabien

Not quite sure what you want to achieve but for starters, make sure that ALL of your clips are the of the same frame size (ex.: 1280 X 1080 or other). I also notice that you are working with the DRAFT setting in your preview. That will give you a view with a lot of pixels. If you can, set your Preview window to Best(Full).

Let us know what happens and if improved anything and to what extent.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb
Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core 4.60GHz
Radeon RX 5700 XT
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Fabien Ford
on Jan 8, 2020 at 9:49:26 pm

Hello 👋

I have two 1920x1080 videos, and I want to place one over the other.
Specifically this skeleton model over this game character:

But when I try to align them so that they fit over each other perfectly, it doesn't work.
Even though the Pan/Crop settings for both video clips are set to the same width and height,
the pixels seem stretched and out of place, and they don't line up:

I tried changing the preview settings to Best(Full), but unfortunately it makes the video look like this:

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jan 9, 2020 at 10:51:57 am

Hi Fabien

First off, the Preview window is just what it says, it's just a preview. When you get around to render, you will get something that will look like what you have with Best. If you want to keep the original pixalated look, that would be another ball game.

About the original stretched pixel problem, was the skeleton a screen capture from the video ?

Cheers ?

Radeon RX 5700 XT

Return to posts index

Fabien Ford
on Jan 9, 2020 at 5:27:22 pm

Hello 👋

The skeleton is from a screenshot of the game, and the character is from a lossless screen recording of the game.
Though unfortunately the problem still occurs if I take a PNG screenshot of the skeleton and character from the game and try to place one over the other, or if I use two screen recordings and try to place one over the other.

About the preview quality, I have the rendering settings set to Draft, which makes the rendered video look the same as the preview.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jan 9, 2020 at 5:42:51 pm

Hi Fabien

What happens when you disable resample ? (right click on video event(s), choose Switches)

Radeon RX 5700 XT

Return to posts index

Fabien Ford
on Jan 9, 2020 at 7:32:13 pm

Hello

I tried disabling resample on both just now, and unfortunately that doesn't seem to work.
(I also have resample disabled in the project settings)
Though I managed to get the eye to line up where the green arrow is, but where the red arrows are the pixels do not line up.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jan 10, 2020 at 12:35:56 am

Hi Fabien

How do you know that both images should match perfectly ? Just wondering.

Me, still trying to figure out how to match them...

Radeon RX 5700 XT

Return to posts index

Fabien Ford
on Jan 10, 2020 at 3:06:26 am

Hello

The images should line up perfectly because they are low resolution. I was hoping that the pixels would snap into place like they do in GIMP, where I am able to line both images up perfectly.

Here in GIMP, both images line up:

I am assuming the problem here is that when cropping in Vegas Pro, the pixels stretch out, and are not always the same size as one another:

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jan 10, 2020 at 12:30:48 pm

Hi Fabien

Here's a crazy idea. You're saying that when in GIMP you can create a GIF that works and does what you what it to do. Create the GIF and import it into a new project in Vegas as an image sequence and render it. This done to prevent your comp from slowing down if you were to simply import the .GIF into your project. Also, I vaguely remember using a .MNG file instead of .GIF a while back that came out of GIMP. Quality was way better than a .GIF. I can't remember if I had to convert it before it could be imported into the Vegas project but the quality was there.

Cheers !

Radeon RX 5700 XT

Return to posts index

Fabien Ford
on Jan 10, 2020 at 12:59:56 pm

Hello

Unfortunately that does not sound ideal ☹
As so many pixels seem to be stretched and out of shape when cropping in Vegas, I would have to make GIFs for the entire video. I think that would be like a stop motion animation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]