MAGIX VEGAS: MAGIX Vegas Tutorials MAGIX Vegas Forum Articles Black Magic Design Forum AJA Xena Forum

Good render setting for BR?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Hewitt
Good render setting for BR?
on Oct 19, 2019 at 2:55:15 pm

Hi all, as a long term Vegas Pro user, I've not really had much call to make a Blu ray until now.
My source footage is 1080P/50 across all three cameras, my project properties in Vegas Pro 12 match the source input and all looks good.
I would like to maintain resolution and frame rate but BR is either 720P/50 or 1080i/50.

It's been a long time since I've worked with interlace and I hated it, progressive is so much easier.
So, my question is...what render format would you go for? Is 1080i better than 720P in this case? If going for 1080i, do I use upper or lower fields in the render settings?

Thanks for any help you can send my way!

Return to posts index

Chris Hewitt
Re: Good render setting for BR?
on Oct 23, 2019 at 12:53:10 pm

If anyone has any advice, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Oct 23, 2019 at 2:04:45 pm

Hi Chris

What is the subject or your video ? I'm asking because Blu-ray at 1080i will do a great job for slow pans, nature shots and/or talking heads, not so much with fast action. Blu-ray 720p will do a much better job with faster movements.

If you want to keep the higher bit rate, your other option is to use 1080p but at 23.976 fps. It could be an option depending on your subject matter and the final look you want to achieve.

Disks are not that expensive. Why not burn 1 of each and pick the one you like best. This way, next time you'll be burning rubber !

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb AMD Rysen® 9-3900x 12 Core 4.60GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Chris Hewitt
on Oct 23, 2019 at 8:33:09 pm

Hi Francois, thanks for your reply. The video is a wedding project so no fast motion really. I have tried 720p/50 on a blu-ray disc and it looks fine but I was wondering if keeping it at 1080 would be better for the resolution even though it would be interlaced.

The raw footage is 1080P/50 shot on a Sony CX-730 and a Panasonic AG-AC160.
I haven't had the time yet to convert to 1080i to see what it looks like. Also, 1080/24 which I was unaware of re BRay.

I shot the wedding for a friend of a friend who has a 50 inch 4K TV and am concerned with how the final video will look on that screen. They have asked for Blu-ray.

Thanks again, Francois, all help appreciated.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Oct 23, 2019 at 11:43:58 pm

Hi Chris

You should definitely shoot some test footage using all of the options on both your cameras. Being unfamiliar with the ones you have, I will assume that you can shoot at different frame rates. My advice is for you to shoot the same scenes at the various settings, with and without movement and then compare the results. This way, you will be ready for anything the next time you're out and about !

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb AMD Rysen® 9-3900x 12 Core 4.60GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
Vegas Pro 16, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]